Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jan 12, 2007.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i am looking for a set of 6x9s and 6.5s for my car i dont want high-end, just some good sounding economy ones that can handle 200-300 watts. thanks guys

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

bang for the buck would be Soundstream . Come with cool spiders in the center as grilles . I dunno about putting that many watts into anything .

I like Memphis too , after a friend told me about them . Ebay is a good source for those cheaper than the stores .

If you want some decent bass you need subs .

If you want clean all around sound , albeit with only as much bass as a smaller speaker makes , you won't need 200 watts per speaker . A smaller 4 channel amp would be fine , or deck power since you sound on a budget .

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Crutchfield

4. bigbadchev84

I already have all the amps- 1200w mtx for the subs and a 520w for the mids, so i am wanting just some decent clean sounding speakers for the mid-highs, i use a crossover to filter out the lows going to them anyway, sorry for not specifying before, also i was wanting to spend no more than $60 a pair, thanks

5. pauly383

Soundstream XTS 6x9's fit the power and money requirements . I can vouch they sound nice . Chronic Car Audio turned me on to those . I run this brand for my front stage .

6. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

is that RMS or is that peak output on ur amps??

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I would only put that kind of power into some Boston Acoustic Pros.$600.00
    Any set of speakers for under a hundred bucks should only have around 40 watts max going to them, when you are talking 6.5". 6x9s can get away with a little more. Alot of that even depends on the signal source, output voltage of the RCA connections and quality of the amp.

8. pauly383

I highly doubt his 520w amp is going to hit that high rating much of the time anyway , and the rating is total peak for all channels anyway . If its a 2 channel its only 260 watts peak at clipping ( if really that in reality anyway ) . Who really runs their amps that hard in a real world driven truck on a budget .

The speakers I mentioned were 80 watts RMS , 200 peak each . They are also 92db sensitivity <------- he will not need to crank em up to be loud anyway . So his amp is overkill , and doesn't even need to be cranked loud enough to hurt the speakers .

9. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

though ratings more than likely are peak out put. also ur smaller amp how many channels is it?

10. bigbadchev84

they are both 2 channel amps, the 1200w is an mtx mono amp the other im not sure, but it is what i have and prefer to run my speakers off amps anyway. this is going into my car by the way.

11. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I like Pioneer. Just installed a CD player, 5.25"s in the front, 6"x9"s in the rear, and a single 12" sub in my rig. Sounds good and I didn't drop too much coin. Pioneer is all over Ebay but sometimes you can get their stuff even cheaper at Walmart.

12. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

a good set of 2 ways that will handle 2-300 watts is gonna set you back around 100$. i would spend the extra and get a quality set, why buy something you plan to replace later???