Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaker wiring how-to (not dumb)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Scuba Steve, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

OK it might be dumb but I have 3.5 rockford fosgates in the dash that are 4ohms. I want to put 6.5 infinity kappas in the doors, but they are 2ohms. I will be getting am amp in the near future (JL audio or Clarion 4channel) both can handle 2 ohms. Would it be bad to wire them in series for a total of 6ohms. I also thought about ditching the 3.5 rockfords and get 3.5 Kappas that at 2 ohms for 4ohm load wired in series. I know that I could also just get the Infinity referance line which are 4ohm speakers and wire what I have in parallel for 2 ohm total load. Please help:confused:

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Get the 4ohm version, wire them in parallel for a 2ohm (stereo) load.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Where are you planing on mounting the 6.5"? Are they going to be crossed over for just mid bass? Are you planning on using the 3.5 as midrange & highs? I think you would be happier if you would get a set for Component speakers (with crossovers). If you want to use the 3.5 I would install them in the back for rear fill...

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my Alero I have the Infinity Kappa's. (4X6 plates up front, and 6X9's in the rear all 2 ohm speakers) I started off with the 4X6 plate speakers in the doors. These are 2 ohm speakers. I ran them off the headunit before I got my 4 channel amp with out any problem. Before you buy a amp, I highly recomend looking at a Phoenix Gold. I have a entry level Phoenix Gold, and it's better then most companys high end amps.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I think that I will get the Kappa's for the doors and run those and the 6x9's of the amp. The 3.5's in the dash I will run of the head unit.