Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaker?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Sep 17, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I posted this in the audio section, but no resonse. I am wondering where to mount speakers and amps now that I dont have a top or doors. I still have the metal part of the roof, but no fiberglass part. I use to have two 12s, two 8s, 6x9s, four 1" tweeters, and 5.5" speakers. I also have four amps still. I was wondering where I can mount atleast some of this, and atleast two amps without them getting stolen. Any ideas? Where do you guys run your stereo stuff with no top or doors?

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. DesertDueler

Anybody? I will have to start parking the Jimmy out side after this weekend. My Firebird is comming home. I am trying not to have to pull everything out.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

If you dont want to tell him you can tell me cause I want to know too ! [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    The flag still stands for freedom and they cant take that away !

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well ya got to give more info...size of amps....how do you use your rig......are you going to run a tonnue or nothing to keep weather out......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I mounted my amp underneath the seat. I went tothe hardware store and bought some small square tubing and boted the amp to the tubing and the tubing to the seat bracket. This keeps it up off the floor and a theif has to either take off 8 bolts or take my seat out. I made it to where you have to take the seat out, mount the amp, then put the seat back in. I also Por-15 the square tubing to rust proof it and make it look good. Wish I could get you guys pics but no scanner. Hope this helps
    88K5Jimmy

6. DesertDueler

I am not going to run anything in the back. It doesnt rain enough here for me to worry. If it rains bad, I will cover the back in lastic or something. As for the amps, I use to have two of them under the seats. They fit fine under there. They are a little smaller than the botom of the seat. Those are probably the two I am going to use. I use my rig for rockcrawling, and trail riding. Not much mud here either, so I dont hae to worry about that. I would like to keep the 6x9s, 5.5s, and the eights. I need a loud stereo since my windshield makes all kinds of noise since its plexyglass, the tires, and road noise.

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Dan, in many of the Jeep catalogs you can find Tuffy speaker boxes. They are lockable and are supposed to be theft-proof. I have seen them for 6X9s but not for anything larger than that. I am having the same dilema.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

8. DesertDueler

Yea, I would like a big stereo in it like I use to have, but know that it would get stolen really easy. Has anyone put speakers in their tailgate? I was thinking of pulling the inspection cover, dynamat the inside, and cut holes in the inspection cover. That way they would be less noticeable. Especially the higher you sit. My friend has those boxes for his jeep, and they work ok, but he always has the soft top on it so, I dont know if they are theft proof.

9. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I don't really know what to tell you, 'cept get boxes for 'em. I'm running speakers in the stock locations except with the addition of 6.5'' ones by the rear seat so my 6x9s aren't drowned out when anything is in the back. I might run into amp trouble though, has anyone mounted a NEW sony Xplod ES amp under a seat, I'm concerned about the size, it'll be tight.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

10. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

well if you have side panels then you can mount the speakers there and just not worry about them being in the way...as for the amps...you can mount them under the front seats if they arent that big..

11. DesertDueler

I had them mounted there before. I was wondering if anybody has an idea on how to cover the amps up so you cant see them that easy, but wont make them overheat? I also cant cut into the kick panels, I dont want to take the strength away from that area since that the area I am connecting my swingout door bars for my cage.

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would build my side panels out of mdf and put the subs in the back part, with the 6 x 9's by the front of the rear seat. To hide the amps you could mount them to the back side of the panels with some grill cloth to still allow for air. That way if they can't see it they can't take it. If you don't run a top and have no use for a back window I like the ides of using the tailgate, one it hides it from thiefs better and second of all it aims the sound the right way. Just my 2 cents, spend it wisely[​IMG]

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange>

13. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

You may have enough room to mount the 6x9's in the kick panels in front of the door (under the glove box area and next to the clutch) the tweeters you could space around the cab, depending on how the acoustics are with no cap and doors. The eights, just get some truck boxes and lay them down behind the seats, my MTX boxes fit perfectly behind mine and sound great. (you can feel the thump too [​IMG] )

Or you could just mount 'em in my rig...... [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

A couple CK5'ers and I were discussing this a while back and got some ideas from different spots... combinig them I 'm thinking about doing this for mine when I make new sidepanels when I go down to 10's. It would be make a spot or couple of spots (one in each side panel for 1 amp each)with a hole and screen in it and hook up a couple fans to blow over the amp and out the screen... or even do a dual set up where one blows over the amp and one is right by the screen and sucks the air and pushes it out the screen. This works mint cause my side panels are all gonna be coated in Herculiner. I haven't decided if they will be at the same location as the stock side panels or pushed out an inch or two. You can kind of design it to fit your amp and speaker needs... meanwhile keep your other two smaller amps under the seat. My only hold up is I would like to find some custom screws like those tuffy boxes have to screw them into the side so any old joe w/ a screwdriver or ratchet can't get the panels off w/ ease.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I was also gonna add... you could start asking competition guys what they do for ventalation in those enclosed plex-i-glass deals.

My whole push-pull fans idea kinda came from reading about the fan setups on overclocked computers and mods people do short of liquid cooling. Hope this helps or spurs an idea for ya.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

16. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

most comp amps have fans built into them..they are push/pull configurations..If you do want to you can build the amps out into the side walls and add the fans in a push/pull configuration to keep them cool. I would venture to say that if the heat sinks of the amps are left exposed to air, and the top is off the amp (depending on the quality of the amp) you should have NO probs. How I have the amps in my rig...I am still running my top on though and have the inside spare...I have the amps mounted ON the side wall behind the spare tire..I figure if they want the amps then they have to take the tire out first and thats a bitch to do. personally i would just build the speakers into the back, behind the rear ashtrays...you could get kickpanels for the fronts (these will set you back about 250 or so but will look stock)..you will need to run a component setup in this though and that might cost a bit more depending on the quality you want to go with. This way though you dont have a load of things floating around here and there.

17. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

whe i did that w/ my soft top, i made a lid that bolts down over my rear area.
    it hides them, but not 100% thrft proof. plus since it was open on the sides of the rear bench seat it channeled the sound to me and sounded sweet.
    i can give u some specs if u want

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

18. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i yeah, i only have one amp but its inside my custom made sidepapels
    if u want specs of thos i can give em to ya.
    u can also put subs in the side panels

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

19. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Here is my setup in my K5, i custom built wood frames for kick panels then fiberglassed it in so i put a set of 6.5" momo components up there. My factory dash speakers were removed and i put in polk momo tweeters. Where the ash trays were in the back seats i removed them from the side panels and cut out my panels for polk ex 6.5 components. i hid the crossovers down inside the panel and i dynamated the metal behind where the components are. In the corners by the rear seat (you know where the floor steps up) i built some boxes for two mtx 6000 series 8's. i carpeted the boxes in burgundy to match the interior carpet and threw grill cloth over the speakers so they are hardly noticeable. i have one mtx 6304(big 4 channel) under my drivers seat and another 6304 4 channel under my passengers seat. That is what is running all those speakers for my highs and mids. I am running two 10" ppi pro series piston woofers in the rear though i left those in their box. I am thinking of making some reinforcments for the side panels and putting them in there. Where the 4x10s were in the back i removed the grills and cut out more room to stuff two mtx thunder 6500D mono block sub amps (one on each side). They run one sub a piece. its a pretty nice setup and with a little grill cloth i can hide those two amps. the only thing exposed on my truck when the top is off is the box with the tens, they could easily be removed. the components are somewhat in the open but not as bad as the box.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check out my interior page on the link below, I put the Fosgate amp behind the new side panels and the 10" MTX speakers as well as the 6x9 Clarions in the side panels. Works well for my purposes and sounds like it would for you too.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>