Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speakers and antenna help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Chevy305, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I'm a nOoB when it comes to stereos and car audio. My current stereo is a stock replacement radio I got for xmas last year for my 85 K10. All the wires and connections are the same as the stock radio, but it's a little better than the stock radio.

So my question is about speakers. I have a set of 2 speakers in box behind my seat and they kinda suck, they are old and scratchy. What are some good replacments for them? also I don't have any front speakers so what should I do about them?

Also right now i have an autozone antenia and the reception kinda sucks, what some options to do about that? I have the antenia mounted the bed side behind the cab.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't really recomend a antenna, poor radio reception is usely the radio it self in my experence. Speakers, I really like my Infinity Kappa's. They can be pricey, but well worth it in my honest opinion. JBL makes good speakers also.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The antenna is only as good as the feeder wire that attaches it to the radio. Make sure the wire isn't bare and touching metal. Also make sure any connections are tight.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Got any links to them?

5. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Ahhh the standard cab truck memories are flooding back... I still have a set of MTX truck box speakers in the tuff shed that were in my last pickup, that along with some stock dash speakers and I thought I was the shiznit :)

All funny business aside, some truck boxes either full range like the MTXs or even just subs running off a 2-4 channel amp and some speakers up front, maybe kickpanels running off the deck or other channels of a 4 channle amp should get you into the tunes pretty cheaply.

Want something more serious than that and you might consider just saving up and going to your local installer.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, if you don't do any deep water crossings, and don't mind spending some money, I'd look into some kick panel enclosures. Q-Forms makes some nice ones. You'll still need speakers, but it lets you run components. Sounds much better in my honest opinion. Add a sub, and that should sound really good in your truck.