Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speakers behind seat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jun 10, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put a woofer box behind the seat of a pickup? I have a 73 K20 that I plan to put in a CD player, 6x9's in the doors and an amp under the seat. I have some 12's from when I had a 81 Blazer. Can a box be put behind the seat? Im 6'1" o I need the seat back as possible. Im no longer a kid so I cant o the steering wheel in the chet thang no more. Any idea's???

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

cramming them in, i think 10s are as big as you can go in a pickup without modifications to the cab

as far as i can imagine, you would have to build a custom box to fit 12s... modify the ledge thing to allow for the speakers to fit (drop it down so the 12s mount lower)

i suppose you could build a box into the bed area, like mount the 12s flush on the existing rear panel of the cab, then box in behind them and knotch the bed front to allow the box... but thats a LOT of sheet metal work for speakers

other options are custom center console (and bucket seats) with the speakers in the console

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

A box can be build for it, if you have the cash. It's just a matter of air space in the box. It's not going to sound great either, but only because of the confined space of the pick up cab. I agree with the previous post. Cut out the space between the cab and the bed and get a tanou cover. Rubber gaskets are made for those jobs to fit between the bed and the cab. AND, with all that air space in the bed, it'll sound good too.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A box doesn't have too be perfetly square. A friend has a custom built box that go's behind and under the seat. I was pretty suprised at how good it sounds It's a chambered box, kind of like a bandpass box with the ports firing out from under the seat.

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I answered your question on the other site you posted it on :thumb:

6. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

I have the same style truck, and I put 6x9's behind the seats. I used ready built boxes, and they just sit on the bottom ledge. I cant hear any high frequency out of them, but it helps with the mids, and low end. I didnt want woofers, so for me it worked out OK.

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have 2 of those I put my 6x9 speakers in... I got the boxes from Circuit City for like $30.00 for the pair... With the seat all the way back it touches the front of the speaker.. I can tell a difference in sound when I lean the speaker forward... But I am not interested in a high performace stereo in my play truck.. With a Kenwood deck,200 watt EQ/amp, 2 Pioneer 6x9 's. and a little dual 8inch woofer speaker box with built in tweeters behing the seat it is just enough to here over the motor and exhaust :thumb:

8. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I built my own box to fit two 10's behind my seat. I am only 5'8" and I wanted as much space as possible so my seat is moved forward and the box is sorta contoured to the cab, but I think that most 12 inch subs are too deep to stick back there. My subs line up with the small of my back and the passenger's back, and my amp is recessed into the box in the middle. Nice back massager, I must say.