Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speakers in doors

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ShinnyHelmet, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

I have a 71' K5 w/ no radio. I had an original but took it out last year. I had a 69' about 15 years ago in school and cut holes in the doors to hold speakers. Now this time around, im not sure if I should do same or invest in kick panels. Any suggestions?

2. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i got an 86 and took the door pannel of to take a look and there's no way of doing it unless you cut a hole in the door, then pray you have enough depth for the speaker to mount.. my electric window motor was in the way so i just said "screw it" and cut holes in the back under the ash trays for 5x7's and but a 5x7 in the center of the dash and replaced the 3 3.5in'ers in the dash as well /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif sounds great.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll tell you everything you want to know about door mounted speakers if you're willing to part with that "factory" radio!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Lemme know!

4. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

what i meant to say was...i threw it in the trash last year...so no radio, but would like to get one soon. So, please tell me everything. Thanks

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

get a pioneer Premier Head Unit, pioneer 5x7 up front, 2 infinity Cappa 5x7's in the back, 4 Cadence A7HC amps and 2 DD 9515's, a 260 amp alternator, 2 deep cycle's and you'll be just like me.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. Greg72

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ...and you'll be just like me..

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like someone who STILL hasn't filled out their profile??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Greg72

SH,

Well here's the deal....that lower part of the door has PLENTY of room....I've seen guys put 6x9's down there, and I was able to put TWO 6" Mid-Basses in side-by-side in each door. The mounting depth is 5.5" which is plenty deep assuming you haven't done anything weird like add power windows, etc.

Too bad you ditched that factory radio.....I was really hoping to "score" one of those!!!

8. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

wierd like power windows? i may not have a profile but my truck aint wierd cause it has power windows.. and my opinion is if you throw some decent speakers in the dash with maybe a center channel and some mids in the back (by the back seat, under the ash trays" you'll be happy with the results, i got my amp for the mids under the driver seat and ran all the wires under the carpet.. looks stock except for the speakers in the back.. but even that looks like they were meant to be there.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Greg72

Mr./Mrs. Emooooooo! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There's nothing "weird" about power windows....except for the fact that the question was about a 1st Gen K5, which never came with power windows (or power ANYTHING for that matter!) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I have to "disclaimer" my responses, since I can only speak to how my "original doors" worked speaker-wise.

2nd Gens are completely different, so what worked for you isnt really applicable....for example, you'd NEVER get a speaker in the dash area of a 1st Gen (not even a 3.5") it's really narrow up there.

BTW -&gt; The profile thing was a gentle teasing, but it REALLY does help others to know basic info about you and your truck.

10. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea i know bout the profile thing, no harm done.. i'm still pretty new on this forum that's the reason for the profile, i'll get it up their some day.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

throw some decent speakers in the dash with maybe a center channel and some mids in the back (by the back seat, under the ash trays" you'll be happy with the results,

[/ QUOTE ] You obviously have never seen or heard the system that Greg72 has in his K5. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif After that experience, you'll be certain that what you have is not much better than a pocket transistor radio in comparison. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

actually not to stirr anything up but i too have quite the system, i've competed in several stereo competitions, mostly DB Drags, some SQ competition and i hit about 154-155 on the db meter, and that was before my 260 amp alternator and a new box i'm making for my k5. hopefully this year i can raise that up a db or so, No, i haven't seen or heard of Greg's stereo, i'm sure it's quite loud and it's ku we have people on a 4x4 forum that can appreciate a great sounding stereo.. but i'm sure my stereo's no "pocket transistor" but i Know there is better, like Alma Gates.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and if you dunno who she is do some research and realize that there's a group of people that compete in stereo competitions.. i'm sure i'll be deaf in a few years but it's a price i'm willing to take, but by then they'll probably have "replacement ears" /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif i can buy with all the cloning crap their comming up with these days...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HarryH3

Greg's system isn't about pounding bass that can be felt 3 counties away or making more decibels than a 747 at takeoff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's about incredibly pure, clean, balanced sound. It's the sweetest sounding system I've ever heard in a vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's sorta like listening to music in Carnegie Hall! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

that's cool, i've heard systems like that before at some SQ competitions.. mine's strictly for the bass, but unlike some people's bass you can actually still hear the "music" and the words being played in my truck and you still get that feeling that your driving a mobile earthquake machine.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Greg72

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jeez.....there goes Harry again!..... making me blush.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. HarryH3

That system just blew me away! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg... got to pull your leg. NEVER say Never because I put a set of Crossfire horns in the dash of a first gen

Your still my bud even though you said it can't be done.

18. Greg72

HORNS!!!????

Okay, but that's cheating.....maybe I should have said "Round" speakers won't fit.

BTW -&gt; How'd they sound bouncing off the windshield?

19. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Reverse the plarity on them and it comes out nice /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

20. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You obviously have never seen or heard the system that Greg72 has in his K5. After that experience, you'll be certain that what you have is not much better than a pocket transistor radio in comparison

[/ QUOTE ]

never heard it- but heard ABOUT it, and cant wait till he moves over here ...........starting the savings account now - it's called "tune money for greg"......eheheheheh

Brandy