Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by civicstomper, Apr 22, 2004.

1. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I dont go to this forum much but lately my stock speakers in my truck are sounding like garbage and I think its time to move on. It's an 87 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with the silverado package, so it has the sterio and the better cassette player, and I believe all the speakers are stock if that helps.

I dont have any problems with replacing the back speakers that was easy, but I have a few questions about the front ones on the dash.

First off, how do I get to them? Do I have to go from under the dash or take that cover thing off?

Second, I looked in LMC and saw that these speakers are the smaller ones, but I dont know anything about the size. If I got a set thats 5-1/4 inches, does anyone know if that will fit? I think I can make the holes bigger if I have to, but this is my first time doing somehting like this and I'm not sure.

Last question, will a set of normal speakers like this match up as far as resistance and such goes? They are made by a company called Road Master, says 100 watts peak power and they look pretty generic. For 18 bucks I figured it would be worth trying, but I didnt know if there was anything I should know. I wanted to get something that will handle a CD player I put in in the future but until I get the $ for it, these will have to work with my old one.

One more thing I should mention is that I am trying to get a system that has a little more power than the stock one, but yet not trying to "blingify" my truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, just has to sound cool.

Again, I apologize if any of these questions are at all repetive or if it is anything like the "will I need a lift with 33's" from the Garage Forum. I also apologize for making this so long, I just didnt want to leave anything out.

All comments, ideas and suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

To get to them you will need to take the dash pad off, they are probably 3 1/2" speakers. Even high quality replacement 3 1/2" speakers don't sound real great if you want it loud because of their small size. Resistance doesn't matter in your application, 4 ohm speakers are ok. 6 1/2 co-axials in your doors would sound great but require cutting a hole.

3. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

ok, cool thanks for relpying /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am wondering if maybe I should just put the new ones in the door instead of the original stock location. Unfortanatly due to my truck deciding to finally die on me last night/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, it may be a while before I can get started on these speakers after all. But as soon as I get this thing going again, I will look into cutting holes in the doors for the speakers. I done some searching on this and this seems to be the popular thing to do.

Thanks again for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif