Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speakers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshkbomb, May 2, 2004.

1. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about new speakers and I know I'm getting 6X9's installed in the rear, but what about the front? The guy at Quality Auto Sound said I could install 6" speakers in the door, but I don't know if I could bring myself to cut holes in them not to mention the fact that they would then be down near the bottom of the door. Is it possible to fit 5-6" speakers in the dash in place of the 3" ones? If not, I think I'm probably going get more 3" speakers. Also, should I replace all the speaker wire?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This probley should be in the audio forum, but I recomend Q-forms kick panels. They aim the speakers better. Clicky

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I always run monster cable when I get a vehicle. To me its worth it. To fit the 6" speakers though I'm pretty sure you will have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to get them in.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I always run monster cable when I get a vehicle. To me its worth it. To fit the 6" speakers though I'm pretty sure you will have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to get them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will have to hack to get them in, as most trucks didnt come with speakers in the doors. i had a set of 6.5" in my 82. they worked ok, but the sound imagine was nothing compared to my 86 and its stock 3.5" speakers in the dash. i happen to have an extra set of 3.5" dash brackets.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have 6" in the doors and 6x9's infront and behind the rear seat...

6. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

It looks like I'm sticking with the 3.5" in the front, though I went with Boston Acoustics. In the rear, for only 30 bucks more, instead of installing the 6X9's in the panels I'm getting two boxes which I can put anywhere. This is probably better, because I can have one sitting in front of the spare and then unplug and take them both out when I need to haul something. Or maybe put them both up on the wheel wells.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

get some high quality front speakers it makes a differance like the infenity 3.5's

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

not to hijack. but how do you replace the font speakers? I haven't really checked (dash cover) were to to take them off.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

pull the dash pull the dash pad
    take the bracket with and speaker out as 1 peice(2 screws in each)
    take the speaker out of the bracket
    replace speaker
    re install the bracket and speaker
    re install the dash pad

When I got my speakers I got them from crutchfeild and came with new brackets that looked pretty strong but they dident fit as well as the stockers so I re-used my old ones

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

wow that's alot of work to repalce those speakers...

thanks

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I know it's tough to cut the doors but I did and my system rocks! 3.5" speakers just don't cut it. If you want to see what I installed click HERE
    The reciever is no longer made but if someone had it and I needed another one, I'd grab it. You can wheel, jump or even beat on the dash and it won't skip. I think I can just about blow my ear drum out if I want to. The 12" sub only has the problem of shaking everything that is loose in my truck but such is life. I can just turn it down /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

not really it took me about 15-20min but I wasgoing SLOW

13. 1989blazer

1989blazer Registered Member

I put 6x9's on 1.5" standoffs on my doors in the bottom front corners. Some hacking was required. I just cut enough to clear the magnets. Be careful to not cut the anchor for the window lift mechanism. Had I a larger budget, I'd put some mid-range and tweeter speakers on the doors that wouldn't require cutting and then build bass cabinets into the sides either behind the rear seat or perhaps in front. It would depend upon how many people were in the truck on average. Probably 8's or 10's. Then if I was still on a limited budget, I'd do passive cross overs. otherwise, active and lots of amps. I have 6x9's in back as well, but mounted in that crap cardboard. When I have some time, I'll build wood enclosures behind the side panels. Having built a lot of different speaker enclosures (I'm an EE), I've found that that getting the enclosure right is the best bang for the buck. You can wire passive cross overs yourself, it's pretty easy. Even hard-wired actives aren't that hard. Just gotta follow directions. While I haven't looked, there's probably lots of stuff on the net on how to design and build cross overs.