Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaking of a Dana 70 Front...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Nov 10, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Speaking of a D70 front in the "towing with a 6.2" thread.
    Has anyone actually seen or have one of the older actuall D70 fronts from an international truck? I heard they almost all came with closed knuckles but a few have been known to have open knuckles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has one from a Dodge Powerwagon so he says. I checked the number, it is indeed a '70 front, but it has 5.86 gears or something and pinion brakes. It's also closed knuckle. So basically it makes a good conversation piece but that's about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. rjfguitar

hmm, would be an awesome TT front axle with something like 49" irocks.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

closed knuckle? I don't think Dana 70 closed knuckle will be able to hold up to 49s. I remember seeing a hybrid, 60/70, was that on pirate? i forget.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've found out recently there was an actual D70 open knuckle front out there.....in some motorhomes. I still have not been able to get the info about what year, make and model of a motorhome to search for. I saw some pics of the D70 front and sure enough, it looked like the D60 front but was very clearly identifiable as a D70 because of the larger pumpkin. It even had the passenger side leaf spring perch casted into the housing like the GM D60.

A member on the POR site has I think 3 of them in Florida and I sent an e-mail to ask how much. He quoted $3500 for just one D70 front. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    He also explained the axle shafts on these fronts are not standard items like a D60 has. Something called a "convel-cv" shaft. I've read elsewhere in a different magazine that they were called "Eldorado joints", but until I can get more info about these axles and the motorhome they come from, I'm still at a loss about them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, $3500 for a D70 open knuckle front? No way, Jose! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Maybe I am wrong, but aren't the 35 spline stub shafts that people use on dana 60's from dana 70 applications? If so, which dana 70's, because closed knuckle or not they still have big ujoints and the axle shafts are strong...I am sure that I have messed something up on the details here /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be cool. It was under a pullin' truck before my friend got it.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes they are from Dana 70 Applications, but not something that was popular. Spicer is just making tons of them for the 4x4 people I believe.

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I could've snagged one off of an early Furd super duty trash truck (10-lug) for under $500 if I'd wanted it. Open knuckle and all...

10. thatK30guy

Here is proof of the open knuckle D70 front out of some motorhome application:

[​IMG]

Now drool over that picture!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my back is killing me looking at it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be cool. It was under a pullin' truck before my friend got it.

[/ QUOTE ] How harcore of a pull truck? I have seen D60's and even D44's live under pro modified pullers because they are always on soft ground and most of the stress is on the rear anyway. Although I love to pull with mine and I would be much more at peace with a 60 slung under the front.so nevermind. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. thatK30guy

My boner is poking me in my eye looking at it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is proof of the open knuckle D70 front out of some motorhome application:

[​IMG]

Now drool over that picture!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    My boner is poking me in my eye looking at it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I was going to say that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How harcore of a pull truck? I have seen D60's and even D44's live under pro modified pullers because they are always on soft ground and most of the stress is on the rear anyway. Although I love to pull with mine and I would be much more at peace with a 60 slung under the front.so nevermind. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what kinda pullin trucks you have in CA, but here, they run an 800-1000 lb weight in the front and gut the bed and do everything that they can to lighten the rear so they can add more weight to the front becuase the sled puts so much weight on the back.

My friend's dad's pullin' truck you can almost pick up the rear of it with your hands it's so light in the arse end. It's got a huge weight for the front though spaced out like 2' from the front of the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bet that'd be really rough on a D44. My friend Jud broke a 30 spline D60 with 33" BFG Mud Terrains pulling, and his truck is in the more, "stock" class where they have to have a stock appearing body. He's got 400 or so lbs of lead inside his front bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am not drooling. My 140 lbs couldn't dream of dragging that frontend under my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I am not drooling. My 140 lbs couldn't dream of dragging that frontend under my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] you weigh 140 as well? that would be why my response was "my back hurts looking at it"

18. rjfguitar

yep, the huge bumpers that look like the inforcer bumper. Basically the same trucks but I have seen a few with D44's. Maybe they were just temporary until a 60 could be had. Very light in the back with no suspension.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yep, the huge bumpers that look like the inforcer bumper. Basically the same trucks but I have seen a few with D44's. Maybe they were just temporary until a 60 could be had. Very light in the back with no suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Like I said, my buddy trashed his D60 in stock bodied K30 without the crazy weight. Imagine what you could do without that!

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

considering the price of buiding a trick d70 front... if I wanted to run 49" iroks or michelins, I'd just get rockwells. much cheaper... and beefier too. Get them narrowed 7" and u only need to carry one spare shaft and use a pinion brake (offroad only!) and it wouldnt be much heavier than a d70 either...

j