Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaking of bigger, badder, 'Burbs...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Sub_Versive, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Sub_Versive

Sub_Versive Registered Member

Speaking of bigger, badder, \'Burbs...

Steven, I'm in a position now where I'm ready to start on my '85 'burb's suspension. My tentative plan is to trace Steve Fox's footsteps on the Project UAV blazer. My 'burb is 90% daily driver, and I live in Florida, so most of my off-roading is probably going to be mud, with some trips to Georgia with a buddy of mine who wheels his jeep there. I'm wanting to go with 37x12.50R16.5LT SSR's, ORD shackle flip and 6" lift springs. I think I'm in the same boat as you are, somewhat, in that I want it to work well and be reliable for daily usage. Would you mind helping me get together a shopping list? I'd like to order the parts while I'm out of town - I am currently in Iraq with NBC news - so they're ready to go on the truck when I get back. I'm stuck here in a Ford F-450 with an antenna on the back - need to get some more Chevy action going to clean out my system.

Jake Kooser
    www.donttrythisathome.org

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Speaking of bigger, badder, \'Burbs...

D60 front or 10B front?
    56" rear springs?
    I'll have to look at modifying the "burly 'burb" list to get a 6" lift out of it. Should be pretty minor mods overall, taller front springs, different steering correction, 4" lift rear spring, and you're pretty much there.

3. Sub_Versive

10-bolt corporate front, 56" rear springs - I'm pretty sure, it's an 8-lug 3/4 ton if that helps.

You mention a "burly 'burb" list, where's that? Geez, I been gone too long...

---> update, I think I found the list - on the "burly 'burb" page on your site. What can I order regardless of spring length and front axle? I want to take advantage of the fact that I'm out of town so the goodies will be waiting for me when I get back.

Jake

[ QUOTE ]
    D60 front or 10B front?
    56" rear springs?
    I'll have to look at modifying the "burly 'burb" list to get a 6" lift out of it. Should be pretty minor mods overall, taller front springs, different steering correction, 4" lift rear spring, and you're pretty much there.

[/ QUOTE ]

4. Stephen

I just need to know what we're dealing with so I can get the list together. Unless you finish up quick (which would be fine) we should be able to get the parts to your home in time.

5. Sub_Versive

So, out of the list of:
    3" Tuff Country EZRide front springs
    Semi-custom rear springs that were left over from my K5. (stock 52" pack with 4 added leaves and no overload)
    #GU38010 4" shackle flip in the rear
    #GU37011 HD Greasable front shackles
    #GU37012 Greasable front main eye kit
    #GU38003 Greasable rear suspension bushing kit for 1 3/8" shackles
    New Ubolts front and rear
    #GU0010 Braided Stainless Brakeline Kit
    4 new TCI-SX8000 shocks for 4" lift
    #GU37001 Swaybar Disconnect Kit
    #BU09009 4.5" Bumpstops

I could order everything except the springs and shocks, and braided stainless lines (already have 6" lift ones I installed when I did rear disks), and we'll just have to sort out spring length for the rear and what springs to lift the front, right? The truck is at my office, and I have a buddy who could photograph the front axle to verify and measure the rear springs if we coach him through it... With the planned 38's, would I also want both steering box brace kits?

Jake

6. Stephen

You are correct, you can get all except the rear springs, no problem.

I take that back, the rear bushing sizes can vary with the rear spring type, so we need to know the length as early in this process as we can get it.
    The front springs are set by the lift height, so they can go any time.

We really don't need to know what the front axle is beyond verifying that it is not a D60, and I'm sure you'd know if you have a D60.

So, really all we need is the rear spring length and we're set. I'm going to recommend using a 4" lift rear spring with the 4" flip and 6" front springs since subs tend to sit low and/or look like they sit low.
    You'll probably be fine with just the bolt in brace kit, it's typically harder use on 1/2T frames that causes problems if the brace is installed, but if you're going to have the steering box off at any time, you should consider adding the weld in kit also. It doesn't hurt.

7. Sub_Versive

Finally got a chance to get in touch with my buddy. "From the center of both bolts is 56”s, and they are pretty flat, so I didn’t measure along the springs." So it looks like 56 is the magic number...

Jake

8. Stephen

Knowing that, I think we're ready to go. Let me know what you want to do about ordering this and we'll get it on the way.

9. Sub_Versive

Steven, I've got:
    #GU37001 Swaybar Disconnect Kit
    #GU37011 HD Greasable front shackles
    Bolt-in steering box brace kit
    #GU38010 4" shackle flip
    sitting in my shopping cart on your website.
    Which leaves me needing:

Tuff Country EZRide front springs
    rear springs
    #GU37012 Greasable front main eye kit
    #GU38003 Greasable rear suspension bushing kit for 1 3/8" shackles
    New Ubolts front and rear
    4 new TCI-SX8000 shocks for 6" lift
    #BU09009 4.5" Bumpstops

That I couldn't figure out how to get into the cart... Geez, I'm feeling dumb right now. Should I email you directly or call?
    Jake

10. Stephen

I'll look at this tomorrow when we're at the shop and see what to do. Are you somewhere you can call us conveniently? That always works good. If not we can definitely work around it with email.

11. Sub_Versive

Got all my parts from ORD. Everything looks great so far. I've already installed the bolt-in steering box brace this weekend and the sway bar disconnect / correct kit. Already ordered my new bushings for that from LMC Truck - the swaybar bushings were totally shot.

One question I have is on the rear springs, am I supposed to be able to replace both end bushings on the springs with the greasable rear suspension bushing kit I got? One end is considerably larger than the other, and none of the bushings I have are big enough for the larger end. I'd add to your installation instructions that if you're using new springs, you can knock the stock type bushings out with a socket and hammer pretty easily. :-)

Wanna swap bushings, Stephen? I can measure the diameter when I get home in a couple of hours.

Jake Kooser

12. Stephen

Did I mention that I hate 56" springs? We're never sure what size bushings we're dealing with, so this is somewhat common. You need 1.75" bushings, you have 1.5". Make sure the shackle and rear spring eye bushings are OK, then get with us to get the right bushings for the main eye kit.
    Sorry for the hassle.

13. Sub_Versive

[ QUOTE ]
    Did I mention that I hate 56" springs? We're never sure what size bushings we're dealing with, so this is somewhat common. You need 1.75" bushings, you have 1.5". Make sure the shackle and rear spring eye bushings are OK, then get with us to get the right bushings for the main eye kit.
    Sorry for the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too big a fan of the 56" springs right now either, those suckers take up a lot of room in my puny one-car garage right now. Hassle? That ain't no steenkin' hassle! Changing my TH400 in the driveway this weekend, now that was a hassle... Nice to have a tranny that can shift better than a 14 year-old in a manual trans car now, though. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jake