Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaking of milage...the TORNADO???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Feb 26, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Does anyone use this thing? :D If so, does it work? Or is it just a giimck pos?:grin:

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Another gimick, just like the electric supercharger/hairdryer

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:grin: Doesnt it make a cool noise though? :grin: Like the card in the spokes trick??? Have you tried it? I had a customer swear by those things. Siad they kick ass.I dunno

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Did He Strap It To A Dyno Or Was It A Mental Hp Gain?

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I havent personally tried it, I know better:D But I have seen enough people buy it to know its a joke.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Cyclones are cooler than tornados... :p:

[​IMG]

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

They actually DO work because they make the vehicle lighter.....specifically, they remove some of the weight from your wallet.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

A friend of mines dad put one in his Taurus. He swears up and down it increased his mileage. :p:

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you should tell him that putting heluim in the tires will decrease the weight and help with milage alse :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The whole concept of the tornado goes against all logic in improving the performance of an engine. To make more power people spend lots of $$$ to straighten out the air flow. Velocity stacks, smooth straight cold air intake, porting heads,polishing FI intake runners Even K&N filters. All are proven Performance mods to straighten out the air flow and help give a clean non turbulent air/fuel mixture to the combustion chamber.
    Also many newer cars use an air stream straightner in front of the MAF sensor because MAFs work better when the air flow is clean and smooth.

I dont see how a shiny bent up pice of sheet metal that causes a bunch of turbulence in the air flow could do anything but restrict the intake and kill performance.
    Maby at low RPM the thing would act like a carbeurator venturi and have a small effect in increasing the air velocity and could possibly give a little more torque on the low end. That effect may show a slight improvement in city gas milage if you drive like an old fart.

But i think any real gains people see in the thing are from the " I spent 70 bucks for the thing and it works great".Effect

12. undr8ed

undr8ed Registered Member

Don't forget to rake the front end... That way you're always driving downhill :laugh:

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Actually, turbulence isn't a bad thing at all. What is important is where it is, and isn't. Turbulence in the intake runners causes a thick boundary layer which effectively reduces the size of the runner. That's not so good. In a wet flow intake (TBI & Carb'd) you need some turbulence the whole length of the runner to keep all of the fuel suspended in the air. A polished port wall won't do this. When the fuel condenses out of the air and runs down the port floor as a liquid then power, drivability, and mileage all suffer.

Turbulence at the point where the fuel is intro'd to the air is a good thing. Most late model heads are designed to produce turbulence at the intake valve pocket to better promote a homogeneous mixture. The more homogeneous the mixture is, the more efficient the burn and therefore the power the engine will make from a given amount of fuel.

The whole point of Smokey's "Adiabatic Engine" (which it was NOT) was to better homogenize the fuel into the air. From what I've seen both at work and elsewhere, there is a huge amount of power going to waste due to lack of fuel/air charge homogenity. When the mixture approaches total homogenity it can actually ignite (detonate) at precisely the right time for best power and efficiency. The phenomenon is called "HCCI", Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition. It's similar to the diesel cycle, but a LOT harder to do consistantly.

I wouldn't buy a Tornado either.

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i would bet it does little to increase turbulence... but i'd bet a bunch that it restricts airflow... ;)