Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaking of morse code....

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by rebelk5frk, Jul 23, 2003.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I learned code back in 1999 while deployed to bosnia with the army. I never bother to take the test out of laziness I suppose.

I decided the other day that I want to be a general or extra before my birthday next month. (sort of a present to myself) I loaded up some recordings off the net from a few CW transmissions and realized I remember the code about as well as I remember spanish from high school. I recognize quite a few words and letters etc... but not enough to get the whole picture by any means.

I checked the testing schedule for my local area and the next testing session is Aug 10.... a whole day before my birthday. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I guess I have one shot to meet my goal.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dude...Its only 5 WPM /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ....Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    It was 20 to get my Extra /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You will do fine. You obviously have the theory down and you should do fine with the Code. I barely made my 5 WPM during my novice test and I studied for a long time using (Oh sh!t...here goes my age) A 33 RPM Record /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif When I tested for my General(13wpm) I use to play the record at 45 speed and got a "sample test" Cassette which actually turned out to be an exact transmission of the test I was given /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Happy early birthday (wifes is on the 2nd)
    Go get your upgrade and enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude...Its only 5 WPM

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah I know.... I was up to around 17+wpm when I was actually studying it and listening to it quite often.... One of those things that if you don't use it, you lose it. Sort of how I took 3 years of spanish in school and was pretty fluent for about a year afterwards, and now I barely know any spanish.

I've got CRS disorder /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    (Can't remember uhh stuff)

4. rebelk5frk

I AM NOW AN EXTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I passed elements 1,3, and 4 today and should have a new callsign in a week or so.... WOOHOO!

The examiners were dumb founded when I said I planned to take all 3 tests. Then they were out right shocked when I and the 3 others testing passed all elements that we took. It was a good day!

One of the people who passed the test for technician today was my brother-in-law who I talked into taking the test a couple of weeks ago. He scored a 96 and is already studying the other elements to try and upgrade next month. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Congrats. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Way to go !! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Congratulations!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeeeaaaaaa!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Told ya you would pass /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What are you changing your call to?
    You can apply for a Vanity if you like.
    Check the database and see if there's anything U like.

Welcome to the Extra Class... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yea...HAPPY BIRTHDAY..2morrow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    What are you changing your call to?
    You can apply for a Vanity if you like.
    Check the database and see if there's anything U like

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to do a systematic callsign assignment. It'll get me a little shorter call and it's free. I don't want to pay for a call.

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yea...HAPPY BIRTHDAY..2morrow

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And thanks to everyone else too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm just going to do a systematic callsign assignment. It'll get me a little shorter call and it's free. I don't want to pay for a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought I was going to get a new callsign. My upgrade hit the FCC database already but the stupid VE's who entered my information online, checked the wrong box on the form. I selected I wanted the FCC to systematically change my callsign on the hard copy. Whoever entered it in online selected "no" to that question. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I sent a nasty gram to the coordinator for the VE team to see if he can get it fixed quicker/easier than I can.

Although now I'm not real sure if I want a new call.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My old/original one is pretty established. I have accounts, web pages, logs, etc, etc, etc referenced by that call. If I do get it changed, I just hope it is changed quickly so I can get my paper license so I can get ham tags on the blazer again. I have until the end of the month to get new tags. Actually they are over due already. I have GA tags on it now that techically expire on my birthday, not to mention I've been living in TX for well over 30 days already. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

CONGRATS!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Guess I am next. Didja ever get your call worked out or just keepin it?
    Good job man!!!
    73's

11. 88Silverado

I was going to keep my original call (ka6csc) when I upgraded but decided it was too long for CW pileups. I wanted to just drop the last two letters to go from a Novice call (2x3) to a Extra call (1x2 or 2x1) but the paperwork got to the FCC early and was rejected so I got the KR6C call instead. Big difference.

When I did mine, internet wasnt really established, e-mail was something you had at work so it wasnt much to convert, in your case...you have alot of things tied to your call. Just depends what you want to do. If the FCC issues it, could be a worse call....If you really want to change it, pay the $$ and get a Vanity call that U like /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Guess I am next

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on down, You're the next contestant on the price is right!

I still haven't gotten anything straightened out on the callsign. I haven't heard back from the VE and my browser doesn't want to cooperate with the FCC website to change it myself yet.

I'll probably get it changed one way or another. Going by what the FCC has been assigning lately I should have a 2x2 call.

13. rebelk5frk

new call

My new call is AD5OU

It's gonna take some getting used to. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. 88Silverado

Re: new call

[ QUOTE ]
    AD5OU

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not bad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif