Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speaking of new tires...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I was just curious... what tires have you found work the best on the rocks, snow, mud, etc. I am not talking much about brands, but sizes. I like my wide Swampers in the mud, and I know tall skinnys work best in snow, but what works on rocks? Narrower or wider?

Mike

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

39.5x15xwhatever

the 15" width is enuff to stabelize the full size rigs, but still stay under the bodies, and when aired down, the footprint is huge.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Real wide works in snow too. If it's wide enough that you can float ontop of the snow.

4. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I have to differ with these guys and say that my experience says that the skinny tires work better in the rocks. At least in moab type terrain. At blazer bash I saw a lot of 39.5s and 42s which are 15 wide but the rig I saw as most capable for the most stuff was Butch and he is running the 38-13s. They seemed to grip the slickrock and move more. I realize that there are a lot of different setups and maybe some tires work better for some people but for me I like the skinnies. Myself I ran 36-12.5 TSLRs and in the rocks I haven't used a better tire. Now I have 35-15.5 TSL SXs and they are not quite up to the job in the rocks.

Dave Cowley