Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaking of tires (RANT)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 14, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why, after all these years, and after all the sizes that tires come in nowaday, haven't the tire manufacturers made a single radial A/P or A/T tire larger than a 35x12.50?

Am I the only one that wants a decent, skinny tire so I can drive my truck in the snow and use it in the summer time so I don't burn up my Swampers on the road?

I mean, I love my Swampers, they're great, the traction is unbelievable, but they're rough riding and loud as all hell. Why can't someone come out with a large tire that has a non-agressive type tread pattern? Hell, I'd take a Pep-Boys quality tire for these duties and not even complain, but the only tires that come in 35s are $140 a piece and with 9" of lift and fender cutting my truck would look stupid with 33s. The sad thing is that 33s are available for $80-100 a piece nearly everywhere in any tread pattern.

So WTF? Why can't they make them?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very good question that I wish I had the answer too. BFG All Terrains come in a 35x12.50 don't they?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, but no bigger. And they're still $140 a piece. If they were 37s, I'd say that'd be a great deal. Not that I really require a tire that nice or even that aggressive for my uses.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't know the cost or anything much about them, never much interested, but doesn't interco or someone make those chevron A/T things in stupid big sizes?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Dick Cepek used to sell some big-a$$ mild tread tires. They were called Quiet Giants. But I guess they didn't sell that well, or else someone would still be making them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Check out Kelly Tires and Mile Marker Tires. I can't recall the name right now, but they have an A/T tread type tire that comes in a 35 and is relatively cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, looking at one of the latest National Tire ads in 4WOR, here's what I got for ya..........

BFG AT 37x12.50x17-290

In another ad for Nitto, ya can get a 37x14x18, unknown price.

There's a Dick Cepek listed at 37x13.50, in both 15 and 17 inch rims.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ahh, found it, guess it was triangles, not chevrons... Anyway, there is the STS, no idea how it works but I seem to recall some good reviews.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG AT 37x12.50x17-290

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect, except at $300 a piece, I might as well burn up my Swampers. It'd be cheaper.

9. txtough

txtough Registered Member

H1 Hummers come with Gooyear GSA tires and they have a very streetable tread still very high $$$.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    H1 Hummers come with Gooyear GSA tires and they have a very streetable tread still very high $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

17" ain't they?

[ QUOTE ]
    Perfect, except at $300 a piece, I might as well burn up my Swampers. It'd be cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna play ya gotta pay /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. HarryH3

Here are the Kelly tires I was thinking about: http://www.kellytires.com/auto/products/sawr.html I was quoted $147 each for 315/75R16's. Since tires for 15 inch rims seem to run at least 10-15% cheaper than for 16's, then you should be able to pick up a set for pretty cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also check out the deals at: Nebraksa Tire Take-Offs For $61.50 each, you can hardly go wrong! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what this rant is about.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what this rant is about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definately a /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifpost.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree totally, I am looking for something a bit different though which is a short fat radial tire. I have 14" wide welds and would like to find a decent wearing radial that isn't bigger than a 36" and that is wider than a 14.50. Only the very aggresive bias ply tires are wide enough like the bogger(current tire) and TSL SX. I agree, why can't they make an all terrain type tire that is tall and skinny and a short and fat and still be a radial? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. HarryH3

Oh yeah, also look for stuff in Q78/15 sizes (they're 36 inches tall and 9.5 inches wide). I don't know if anyone still makes such a thing, but I once had a set of Dick Cepek Mud Country tires in that size and those things would really claw through the wet slop that they called snow in Massachusetts.

The only downside about that size is that the tall, skinny profile really let the sidewalls flex a LOT when cornering. So forget any slalom competitions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

interco still has a Q78 size listed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get some baja claws, they dont have much tread depth and they come in big sizes too.

j

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only idea is to have a tire that works well in the snow and wears like iron. That's why an A/T or A/P would work out great. I have my Swmapers for wheeling and I like them (they're 38.5x16).

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have a set of the nebraska take offs.they are wild country trx 35x12.5R16.5's.they work pretty well all around.they come with 16/32 of tread which is only 1/32 off from brand new.and for 285 a set of 4 with shipping i had to get them.seeing as how most sets of cheap tires is 400 to 500 dollars.i also have a fried who got dunlup radials the 35 inch size for 100 dollars appiece from tire rack

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The Denman Coyote comes in a 315/85x15 or 16, that's 36" tall and only 12.5 wide. Not sure on pricing though...