Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speaking of tool sheds

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by MT wheeler, Apr 9, 2006.

1. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I believe I have aquired a 10X18 shed for free. The question is how do I move it? I have a 20 foot carhauler but it will still take some inginuity.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try a tow truck company with a flat bed . thay will sometimes do it. much easyer with the flat bed. and just wrap your 30ft tow strap around it near the base and pop deck under the shed and winch on till just a bit is left on the back as over hang. then when you get there use it to help drag the shed off the flat bed on the ground.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Depends on construction. Rollback may work for some, but others it would just tear apart.

I've done polls and "jacking" to get under stuff like that. Basically a suitable pole is worked under at appropriate locations based on construction. Probably at least 4 based on the length. Then work them upwards till you can back a low trailer under. Raise it a little at a time using high-lifts, jacks, strong backs, whatever you can work out. I've generally used a bunch of 8" blocks with a handful (8 assuming 4 poles) of 4" cap blocks. Go all the way around placing cap blocks. Then go around replacing cap blocks with full blocks. Repeat... That raises each pole 4" at a time. If the structure won't handle that stress, use 2-bys or 1-bys to take smaller steps. I've used the same technique to get bodies off frames and solve other problems like that. Just a little bit at a time, over time, you can accomplish enormous feats just like the ancient Egyptians and old man river.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

...moving day...

I've moved a few small buildings on trailers,one was a shed I got for free(9'x16')...first thing thats a must is a WINCH!...then,a few pipes or poles to go under it,and help it roll onto the trailer..we used fence posts to "roll" sheds to a new location in our yard too,and my 12' reefer truck body..even a riding mower or tractor will pull quite a heavy load if its on rollers or wheels..

The shed I moved here was pretty weak wooden construction...it was not taking kindly to being jacked up by the 6x6 beams at the bottom,they were pretty punky on the bottoms--ants ate them!..we had to nail long 2x4's all around the perimeter of the base and walls,to stiffen them enough to prevent destroying the whole thing..but once we did that,we jacked it up with a floor jack......
    (I did it from the inside,it had no floor,it was on a concrete slab--I used a 4x4 post under one of the wall studs to jack one end up...).then slid the poles under it(we used fence posts)..

It rolled right up on the trailer nicely,but we had to loop the winch cable around the entire building ,down low,to prevent us from yanking one wall right off!....to get it off the trailer,we just put it where we wanted it,and tied a thick rope around it,and tied the rope to my truck to anchor it,and drove the trailer forward,and it plopped right into place..I used old flagstones on a sand bed for a floor,that my friend was going to throw out when he did his pool area over...cha-ching!..:D

One dilema we had was the fact our trailers fenders were in the way,and welded onto the trailer,the building was wider that the bed of the trailer..so we had to jack it up high enough to clear them...and block it up ..it took a better part of a whole day to move it,get it here,and unload it..but it was FREE!....:crazy:

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Insure it then leave a pile of sawdust near a halogen work light. :haha:

Damn those dirty thoughts!!!!

6. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I have thought about that "problem" also. I thought about cutting off the fenders since I want to redo them anyway but my tires are still in the way. When I get this thing I will have to let y'all know how it works out.