Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

special tool for idle screws?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, May 5, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

quadrajet on an 82 350. i've had trouble trying to adjust the idle screws because i can't seem to find a tool that will fit them properly. the heads of the screws are flat on two sides and rounded on the other two. is there a tool made specifically for these? i can imagine something like a really big version of a valve core puller.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You're supposed to get a certain size of metal tubing ( can't remember which one) and pinch the end of it down till it fits. It just takes a short piece, then you can throw it in your glove box.

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Snap on makes one. I forgot the part number. They were the ones that Jet Performance gave me for the quadrajet I bought from them.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Go to a parts store and ask for a carb adjustment tool. For about $7 it is a screwdriver with a spings shaft and holds for bits in the handle to work on different styles. It will have the one you need and is very easy to use because the shaft is flexible.

5. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I bought one of those and it did not have the correct bit. You can use tubing and bend one side flat as said before. I'll check on snap-on's site for the tool #

6. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I got one of those kits from Autozone. It came with several tips to fit different apps.
    Check out the Lisle kit at the end of this page

That's the one I used and worked fine. :)

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I believe the snap-on part # is S6139. You can call Jet Performance to verify that is the one they use.

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i got 82 with 350, mine had the quadrajet when i bought it, but i have since replaced it, one thing to check is at first my adjustments were blocked off, so i had to remove the plugs, second i got a carb adjustment tool from napa, for about 10 bucks..

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I prefer pliers my self :D

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Its called a double D socket...another useless trivia fact taking up valuable brain space :laugh:
    George

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the responses. i'll check on that tool to see if it has the right bit. if not, i have some old hvac copper tube left that i could try. those screws sure are hard to get to, especially on the passender side. a carb spacer would probably be a nice touch for making adjustment easier.