Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Special tool for pulling torque converter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 10, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im pulling my tranny to replace the front pump gasket and o-ring, as well as the seal that goes around the input shaft. I know I need to pull the torque converter for this... what tool do I need? Also, will I need any other tools for this task?

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

All I needed to pull mine was (two hands). [kicks myself in the a$$ for being a smarta$$] j/k - really, mine came right off of the transmission. On the other hand pulling it from the flexplate required a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley nut (to keep the motor from spinning when wrenching and to spin it when I needed to access another bolt) and the appropriate sized ratchet to pull the bolts holding it on. Having a helper handy is nice...

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

The torque converter is held to the flexplate with 3 bolts and from there all you need to do is drop the tranny. This will be a mess unless you have a just a yoke handy, or you drain the fluid. After this the converter should just slide off the input shaft.It accually has keys on the converter and the input shaft for when you put it back on. Make sure you get the converter all the way back in, this usually involves shaking twisting and pushing on the converter till it drops all the way back in. Once this is accomplished just put her back in and bolt it back up. If converter is not all the way back on you can burn up your front pump in a matter of 10 miles. Don't ask how i found this out hehe. Once in you should have to accually pull the convert forward to get it to bolt back up to the flex plate might only need to come out a 1/4 inch or so. I know i got alittle into this, sorry. Any more questions? hehe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

be careful when you pull that pump out. The plates and clutches will try to flop out. If you dont get them back in properly when you bolt the pump back up youll bend them. I didnt do this, but trust me, it happened on MY tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif If you can, get a tall and narrow barrel to stand the tranny into by the bell housing (dont rest it on the tail shaft or the same will happen but they will all pop out instead of flopping) that way the plates and clutches will be laying in the tranny.

Unless the pump Oring is leaking Id leave it alone personally.

Also, when you put the converter back in, be sure to set it twice. It will go in, then spin it w/ your hand lightly pushing on it to catch the pump. Youll feel it drop in again. If you dont when you bolt the tranny back in and the converter is sticking out too far, it will jam in there and bad things can happen. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Rebel posted while I was still typing...he also tells of the bad things that can happen. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. K5thatShmobs

Hmm... interesting. There must be some way to ensure that everything doesnt come flying out when I remove that pump... any suggestions?

7. Pure Insanity

Theres nothing to keep the parts in once the pump is off. Gravity is your friend or your enemy here. Thats why you see tranny guys using a giant C-clamp lookin thing to hold the tranny upright to build them. The parts dont FLY out when the trnny is laid down, they just kinda flop down some. If the tranny is on the tailshaft, the tailshaft will hold all the parts up and the case will just drop around it all. THEN you have a mess.

8. Blazerfun

Blazerfun Registered Member

Once you pull the tranny and remove the converter. Set the tranny in a garbage can, tailshaft down. I prefer a plastic can. Then to remove the pump, you need a couple pusher bolts. If you look at the pump you will see two holes , one at 3 and one a 9. These are threaded and as you screw the bolts in the pump comes out. Make sure to put a little vaseline around the pump o-ring when you install the pump. Its an easy to do job, the real work is putting the tranny and xfer case back in. I use an engine hoist inside the passenger door, drop a chain through the acces hole for the x-fer case shifter and wrap it around the x-fer case. Works great if you are doing the job by yourself.

9. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

i just use a 5 gallon hydrolic oil can (plastic) and an old flexplate. remove the tailshaft housing and the tranny should ballance in the center hole of the flexplate atleast that is what i use /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. K5thatShmobs

Sweet... thanks everyone for the tips... Im going to give it my best this weekend.