Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Special Tool for Top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jun 26, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I was gonna take my top off (for the first time) yesterday, and it's got the bolts with star and a pin in the middle. Can I pick the tool up at any hardware store? I called the guy I bought it from and he can't find it.

89 K5 Silverado

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I haven't bought one yet either...for more complicated reasons, but I think some posts in the past had mentionted that you might be able to get it at a NAPA store or sears.....I believe the bolts are called something like a tamper proof torx head.....torx bits suck anyway. My main complaint is I don't want to buy the dumb bit for probably at least $5 & only use it once....'cause I'm not putting my torx bolts back in the topper. I think I'll try to be real gentle with the bit and try not to scratch it up while removing my top so i can bring it back when I'm done. I know, I know....I'm unbelievably cheap.....but I'm never gonna use that thing again!!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. I wouldn't play with the security torx. I finally found some bits for them on the Net and ordered them. I got 'em and the hole in the center of the bit was too small. I woulda had to drill them out to use them. (BTW, if anybody wants them, they can have them!)

Finally I said the heck with it and took them out with lock (vise-grip) pliers like a lot of people said they had. Then I replaced them with hex bolts. The new bolts have been a million-times easy for on-and-off. The new ones have been just fine.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I bought a tamper proof torx bit that used a 3/8" drive ratchet from Mac Tools. Since I paid for the special tool, I just decided to keep using the factory bolts also. I have never had a problem with the tamper proof torx and usually use an air ratchet on it.

5. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Just take the torx bolts out and put in regular hex head bolts. This will always save time and you can get them out with either a wrench or a socket.

Chevy's RULE!

6. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I was going to replace mine too. Has anyone had trouble getting the regular hex bolt in to screw the top back on. The factory ones are tapered, which makes it easier to hit the hole.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Bought one at autozone 1.99. worked great!

8. I had a little trouble getting two of the bolts into the back of the cab. It seems as though the hole in the cab has a plate that slides up and down on it. That tar-like black crap they put on it is what keeps the plate in place. I couldn't get those two hex bolts in b/c they aren't tapered. It hasn't been a problem, but next time I have the top off, I am gonna fix it (somehow!).

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

got mine at autozone too

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well I went to Autozone and they only have it in a set and they want $17 for the set. I wasn't about to pay that for a one time use. I'm gonna check with some of my buddies at a garage and see if they have one I can use.

89 K5 Silverado