Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Special tool needed to get the top off a 91 blazer what is it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazentank, Oct 2, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

My friend has a 91 blazer and his top has a different kind of bolts they have a star type pattern on the top of them. He wants to know where he can find the tool so he can take his top off. Please help me with this simple question, thank you.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

they would'nt be thorax-type would they? i never heard of thorax bolts, but it's a possibility. i dunno

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Star shaped with a "post" in the middle....it's called a Tamper Proof Torx...get it at NAPA, forgot which number (size) it's called... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I love them type of bolts!!!!Like a thief would steal just your hardtop,damn around here you can't give away a hardtop!!Mike

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea the five star bolts.. i got a cheap set at pepboys with like 9 different sizes that just snap on to a ratchet..come in handy a lot...

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Not the regular star shaped ones...the hardtop bolts have a post in them, so you need a star shape with a hole in the middle...that's why they are called Tamper Proof...if I remember right, they ain't cheep...bought mine a while ago, used it once, figgered I'd replace them with something more conventional...but I figgered I'd paid so much for the dang tool, I was gonna just reuse the bolts so I could get my money's worth outta the Gold plated fancy azzed dang useless POS tool I had to buy in the first place.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I sweated my ass off and used vise grips /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. It was a real pain, but it worked(and it was free too) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Then I took one of those stupid little things to the nut and bolt place and bought a set of real bolts for about $4. Just remember you need 2 different lengths. Good luck

8. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a T-40 Torx bit. Get em @ NAPA to fit a 1/4" drive. Buy two, I had one break & had to drive back to the store.