Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speciatly Top Fastrack Problem??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBen, Mar 11, 2003.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey all,

I read Grim's review of the STC Fastrack top for the 73-75s and had it with me when I started the install this weekend on my '74.

Unfortunately, things went to crap in the first step.

I tried to put the body aluminum on and it didn't fit in any manner. I tried every combination of the 4 rail parts and NONE of them led to the holes lining up over the sliders in the top of the bed. It got close at times, but some of the holes were just outside the range of the slider. In addition to this, NONE of the holes in the rails were big enough for the alignment pin to go through! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I figure something must be wrong because Grim's review said it went together so well.

I called STC yesterday and they told me that "GM changed a lot of things in those years" and that I would just "have to drill the aluminum to fit". This doesn't make me happy on a $600 purchase. How will I Know if it will line up right if I have to GUESS the hole locations?

I know GM changed a lot of things, but did the hole patern move around that much? And did the DIAMETER of the alignment pin change??????

I did a search but didn't find any similar problems. Has anyone else run into this? Is STC giving me a line of Crap?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Ben

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

the only problem that i had with my fast track (91) was that the rear aluminum for the rear window didn't fit for sh|t

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My Kayline Fast Trac for 76-91 went on very painless. My bedside track had 4 separate pieces, are you sure you have the right pieces in their correct places?

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm putting a 72 top on this weekend...hope I don't run into the same problems... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. BigBen

[ QUOTE ]
    are you sure you have the right pieces in their correct places?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure.

there is a split hole between the rails. So this narrows down the options. Combining that with the fact that the fastrack rail needs to be on the outside of the bed... there are only a few combinations possible. I got close a couple times, but never got all the holes to line up.

And NONE of the holes were big enough to fit the alignment pin........ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can't shake this suspicion that they might have sent me the wrong rails....

-Ben

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    are you sure you have the right pieces in their correct places?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure.

there is a split hole between the rails. So this narrows down the options. Combining that with the fact that the fastrack rail needs to be on the outside of the bed... there are only a few combinations possible. I got close a couple times, but never got all the holes to line up.

And NONE of the holes were big enough to fit the alignment pin........ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can't shake this suspicion that they might have sent me the wrong rails....

-Ben

[/ QUOTE ]
    You have to take the pin out. As far as I know all the bolt paternes were the same 73-91. There is a set of alignment holes for the bow supports. Two are like 2 inches and the others are like 6 inches. THe ones with the widest spread go to the back. Mine went right on no drilling needed. There was a couple that were tight and the captive nuts had to be slid but they worked.
    Only way I could see them blowing it was if they drilled the holes for a 69-72. The top is almost identical and uses much of the same hardware and bows.

7. BigBen

[ QUOTE ]

You have to take the pin out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah HAH! I didn't realize this. The instructions didn't mention it and the guy at STC said to drill around it... I was making a wrongful assumption.

BTW: My pins look pretty crappy and rusted. Are they threaded in? How do they come out? The top of the pin has a slot that could be argued to be for a screwdriver..... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif (again)

As far as the hole alignment.... if I do the old sideways drill hole enlarging routine, I think I can get them to fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

I'll take a swing at this tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks again Grim (You keep bailing a lot of us out).

-Ben

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The alignment pins on my '84 had a nut to hold them on.

9. BigBen

I guess this means I better pull the interior panel and look for a nut.......

Thanks,

-Ben

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I had a piece of plywood behind my panel and was anxious to get my top on so I just took a hacksaw to the alignment pin.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like you got it licked, but if you need to figure out where to drill holes for a future project, instead of guessing, use a piece of 1/8" clear plastic or accatate. Clamp it over the holes and mark them, then remove and drill the holes. Now, clamp your template over the new piece and and drill the new holes. If you have a need of presesion work/hole placement you will also need clecos, cleco pliers, drill bushing, and a core drill, but for just making holes that are in the right spot the template works great.