Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

specific wire question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Oct 7, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On the printed circuit in the insturment cluster there are two solid black wires coming out of the connector I am assuming these are grounds. There is also a black wire with a white stripe, and I am hoping this is to hook up my ammeter. Once again its a 73 and two different wiring diagrams do not have either of these wires in them and the wiring diagrams were for a 73

One more question, what size of fusible link(are there different sizes?) should I use in the wires comming from the alternator and starter to the ammeter.

:D:DI think I may have this wire thing licked

2. blazinzuk

Come on guys I can't find this anywhere. those two little black wires are on none of the wiring diagrams I look at. I have been working on some other stuff but I need to finish this up.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well,my book shows the black wires going to a bus bar ground near the steering colum,and the fusible links at the starter solenoid are 14 gauge..can't see any black/white wire going to the dash cluster plug on any of my wiring diagrams--might be a ground wire too??..(use a test light with the key on to see if it has 12V)..

I've hooked up aftermarket Ammeters by running one of its wires from the battery positive terminal (or other "hot" wire") ,and the other to a 12V+ source in the fuse box..an ammeter needs no ground,it measures the juice flowing in a "loop" of the wiring ..a Voltmeter would use a positive and a ground though,and gives a more accurate reading of chagre in my opinion....:crazy:

4. blazinzuk

I would use a voltmeter except my dash came stock with the ammeter so that is what I will use for now. One of my greatest pet peeves in vehicles is the gauges not all working correctly, mabey I am spending too much time on this and just need to suck it up and get done