Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Specs on Colorado rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I'm a bit bored, saw one yesterday and was kind of wondering exactly what they are using now. (parts for disk swaps maybe, etc)

Obviously the casting has changed a bit, (flat across the bottom) but knowing GM it's probably still a 7.5 or 8.5" ring gear in there. :)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

AAM 8 incher with a current style Eaton Gov Loc . Smaller than the 8.5 but deemed strong enough , defimitely stronger than the 7.5 was in base s trucks .

3. dyeager535

You say current style gov loc. Any different than what I see on Eaton's site, or what they've been using all along? (except for the carrier which I'd heard had been "upgraded" at some point)

Any notes on the brakes? Disks standard, optional, drum in hat, diameter, etc?

I know the newer Astro's are six lug 13" disk rears (larger than the front!!??) just hoping for something other than the Cadillac setup as a donor. :)

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They look the same style of locking unit when you glance at it . They show the same looking device on AAM's site when you scroll through the dif pics .

Looking for some stuff online , but can't find swap info .

5. dyeager535

Yes, I see a bunch of diff's listed on AAM's sites that if I didn't know better, would think were all their own products. :) Eaton posi's, e-locker, and gov-locks, Auburn's, Zexel Torsens, looks like they use offer all of those in the axle assemblies.