Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speed sensitive vs torque sensitive lockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Jul 23, 2004.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

was wondering about general diferences, durability, effectiveness?
    basically looking to lock up my front and was wondering
    about detroit locker vs. ture trac vs. ez-locker
    besides price that is! most bang for the buck... ez-locker looks simple to install? the locker looks like it would replace the whole carrier assembly too, so it cant be that hard to install right? I know there's gotta be atleast a few of you who have an opinion on this!

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a locker that replaces the whole carrier(as ALL 3 you listed will) requires a lot of work. If you just put in a Lock Right locker you will not have to reset your gears. If you replace the whole carrier you will. Detroit would be the best option, but since you have 3/4 tons I'd consider a lockright, cheap and you won't feel as bad when you decide the 10 bolt or d44(whatver you have) isn't big enough anymore. ANd to my knowledge the True Trac is more of a posi unit isn't it? As for speed sensitive lockers, its just like the factory Gov Locks, by the time you are really spinning in off road that second tire kicking in will help but would have been nice to have both to begin with. Not to mention that in the smaller axles if you run a gov lock with big tires and some torque, be afraid, be very afraid.

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

hmmm.... seems like good advice. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    what's the price for a lock right?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html between 230 and 290 depending on what diff you have. I plan on running a lock right in my Dana 60, just have a few other things to order before the locker.

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

now i'm a little confused.....
    so what's the dif (hehehe pun) between the true-trac and a lockright? and will the lockright still spin out??? (I really dont want that).
    and are what you saying about speed sensitive lockers is that you build up speed and when the power transfers=bang...bad things...?

and at 4wp the true track is only about $300 (harder to install?)