Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speed Sensor Failing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigburban383, Apr 18, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

When the speed sensor goes bad on a 90' Burban, does the speedometer needle just jump around sporadically? I looked under and followed the wires and connectors, they look okay. It sucks because my ABS is outta wack too and braking is a trip.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

pull the sensor and check the reluctor ring and the sensor.

on my s10, my speedo was possesed. when you step on the gas, the needle went slower. the faster i was going the slower it said i was going when on the gas. when i let off the gas, the needle would show about the correct speed. at 70mph when i had the petal to the floor it showed 10mph and when i let off it was about 70. Thats the fastest the speedo ever moved /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif turns out when the tranny blew up 2 weeeks later(t5) the reluctor ring was ground down from metal shavings on the sensor. put a new reluctor ring in the new tranny and it worked perfect.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From my understanding of that DRAC setup, you should be able to watch the ECM (need a scanner) and see what the speed sensor says the vehicle is doing.

With ABS issues it would seem to be more likely the VSS, as I doubt the ABS stuff works off of the speedometer. I'd still hook a scanner up and see what the ECM sees for MPH as you drive.

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

IIRC that speedo is still mechanical and the electronics use a sensor up in the dash or under the hood on the speedo cable.

Andy

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

90 was the first year for electric speedo.

6. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Scanner, very good idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif