Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speed Sensor Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can I Add The Speed Sensor From A Vortec Engine To My Np208 And Keep The Old Mechanical Speed Sensor As Well. Is There A Better Way To Do This? Does Anyone Make A Reluctor Ring That Can Go On The Output Shaft On A 4l60e So That I Can Mount The Sensor To The T/c Adapter? Please Help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Reluctor ring from a car (or 2wd truck) with 4L60E would work.

If that's the same 40 pulse setup that GM started using in 1990, there is no reason to keep the old mechanical one, if you need the differing output (for whatever, speedometer, cruise, etc) then mount a DRAC.

Problem with mounting the speed sensor in the output shaft of the tranny is that 4wd won't see speed correctly. If it wasn't an issue, GM wouldn't have gone to the expense of making ALL of their t-cases different, for that reason alone.

3. ChickenRammit

4. dyeager535

Easy way I see is to go with the newer (90-91) cluster with no cable.

I'm not sure if jagsthatrun sells an inline adapter for a 40 pulse VSS, but that would be a simple way to do it, but personally I'd like to have a the electronic speedo too. :)

Be careful with the 4L60E reluctor ring...I said it would work in the tranny but I have no idea if the output shaft in the t-case is the same diameter. I'd suspect yes, hopefully someone on here can comment.

5. ChickenRammit

I Ordered A Reluctor Ring From Jtr That Could Go On The Output Shaft Of The Transmision. I Know When I'm In 4wd Low The Speed Wont Be Correct, But I Don't Care, I Just Want The Ecm To Be Happy And Not Trigger Any Dtc's. I Also Ordered Their Book On Tbi/tpi Engine Swaps, Hopefully That Will Help Answer The Millions Of Questions I Have. Let Me Know If You Think Of Anything Else I Should Know.

6. dyeager535

I don't know how "picky" the OBD2 stuff is, but changing the throttle position for the same speed and engine load by half MIGHT? Not saying it will, folks that deal with OBD2 can probably comment more.