Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speed Wobble!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Dec 28, 2000.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, a question for you steering experts...last night I replaced my bent tie rod with the one from Rockstomper (a sweet piece by the way!). We had taken off the old tie rod but couldn't get the driver's side ends out (that's near the point where the boulder bent my rod), so because it was getting late, we decided to put the old one back on and I would get the new rod ends today and fix it. Well, ten minutes later I was driving down the street and boom, the worst speed wobble I have ever felt started! So we limped it back home and saw that the ball joints in the ends were history, they had just given up. So, I made a hasty trip to the parts store, got the ends, and we proceeded to put the rockstomper tie rod and new ends on. Now, the only thing that wouldn't go back on of course was the steering stabilizer. (Also be aware that when the first speed wobble happened, we had left off the stabilizer as well) Anyway, it rode home great, was great coming to work this morning, but as I left the local 4Wheelparts store at lunch time, the speed wobble demon struck again - three times on the way back to work! Everything is tight, the rod ends brand new, the new drop drag link is set up perfectly, etc. The only thing missing from the equation is the stabilizer! Can I assume that this is the responsible party? Also, the temporary tires and wheels I have on the front are old and in bad shape, unbalanced as well, could this be part of the problem (but they had been on teh truck before all this happened)

The thing that puzzles me is that a few weeks ago I remember seeing posts about guys never using stabilizers?? I take mine off and all hell breaks loose!! Any suggestions?? (and of course this is all before I go on a trip tomorrow!!)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you checked your ball-joints? If your tires are unbalanced and your ball-joints are worn it might cause a wobble. Jack up one side of the truck and grab the bottom of the tire. When mine went I had 3/4" of play at the bottom of the tire.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I will try that...now, if I put my new tires on tonight, all new and balanced, will that hopefully solve the problem for now? When I go back to 4Wheel Parts I will have them check the ball joints...I hope they are ok...

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, checked the ball joints by jacking up the truck and trying to move the tire from the bottom, everything is tight, there is no movement there. I know the tires are unbalanced, and they are large, they are old 37x12.50/16.5 Hummer Goodyear MT tires on heavy steel wheels. They weigh a ton, that's for sure. Could that plus no stabilizer cause the wobble?

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Do you check the balljoints by trying to wobble the wheels? Do both front tires have eto be off the ground? Thanks

You need a pickle fork to get the tie rod ends off the draglink.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If those old Hummer tires are badly out of balance that may cause your wobble. One of the rims may be bent as well. Again, jack up a tire and give it a spin, watch the tire near the ground and look for any excessive run-out.

90K5; if your ball joints are worn you will be able to pull the tire out towards you when it is jacked up off the ground. Like I said when my ball joints went I had almost 3/4" of play at the bottom of the tire.

Rene

[​IMG]