Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speeding down the highway and "BOOM"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappyk5, Nov 26, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

speeding down the highway and \"BOOM\"

i was driving down the highway this morning doing about
    70mph and started thinking about a few on here discussing the fact on how they have 35" or larger tires and their
    truck is geared to low and it boggs down on hills.
    my thought is , has anyone ever had a blowout going down the highway with 35" or larger tires? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . how would
    a 5000 lb short wheelbase vehicle react with large ass tires?
    i started slowing down to 55 thinking about it . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: speeding down the highway and \"BOOM\"

Trying not to think about blowing out a 42" TSL at 50MPH!

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    70mph and started thinking about a few on here discussing the fact on how they have 35" or larger tires and their
    my thought is , has anyone ever had a blowout going down the highway with 35" or larger tires? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . how would
    i started slowing down to 55 thinking about it . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Try blowing out a steer in a semi with 80,000lbs at 85mph. Makes for great pucker factor and the cars around, get a great show. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Now that isn't such a good thing to think about. But it does get you thinkin. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try 75 on 44'Swampers.............not fun /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self:

1. Check life insurance policy
    2. Build a rollcage
    3. Slow down

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ive never heard of it happening to anyone

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    ive never heard of it happening to anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that should scare you more than anything! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My buddies dumbass brother blew a 35" BFG AT on time. It was a massive blowout but it didn't do anything. I think he was only doing like 45mph though. I know there is more to the story though. He was doing or did something real stupid that caused it I am sure. He was also running 16.5" which leads me to believe low psi was probably a contributing factor.

Harley

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Try blowing out a steer in a semi with 80,000lbs at 85mph. Makes for great pucker factor and the cars around, get a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the way to Moab we were passing a semi just east of snoqualmie (sp?) pass. We were doing about 70 mph and as we got alongside the tractor one of the outer rear tires blew. It sounded like a cannon went off beside the truck and we got showered with rubber shrapnel. I damn near put my truck in the ditch it startled me so bad.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My tires don't blow at 70, they just fall off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine made me some "homemade" wheel spacers on my old 78 Blazer. Outside Garden City, KS, doing about 60-65, the damn weld failed, luckily the wheel just wobbled inside the wheelwell and halfway supported the truck. Scared me to death, and made short work of my sheet metal. What scares me more is that I just installed a new set of wheel spacers, NOT homemade by my dumbass buddy though.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

Try blowing out a steer in a semi with 80,000lbs at 85mph. Makes for great pucker factor and the cars around, get a great show. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off I own a trucking company and If I knew one of my drivers was doing 85MPH I would Fire his ass as soon as I had the chance! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Blowing a tire at that speed loaded would be devistating. I just had a front tire blow on one of my trucks loaded going the speed limit and he still couldn't hang on and rolled the truck over in a ditch next to the road. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The driver was in the hospital for 1 day and it took an $8,000 tow and clean up bill to get the truck right side up and towed off not to mention load was ruined(hauling christmas trees) and my truck is totaled. Damage all done is around the 20K region. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've had a steering tire blow on me when I was grossly overloaded ( close to 100,000 ) it took me into the ditch but the truck stayed upright /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well speaking of booms, we had a mustang towed in today, 85 mph+cinder block=front tire shredded. rim with one flat side and no more cinder block..

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off I own a trucking company and If I knew one of my drivers was doing 85MPH I would Fire his ass as soon as I had the chance! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Blowing a tire at that speed loaded would be devistating. I just had a front tire blow on one of my trucks loaded going the speed limit and he still couldn't hang on and rolled the truck over in a ditch next to the road. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The driver was in the hospital for 1 day and it took an $8,000 tow and clean up bill to get the truck right side up and towed off not to mention load was ruined(hauling christmas trees) and my truck is totaled. Damage all done is around the 20K region. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So your telling me that you have never drove 85mph in a semi? I could understand being in California, but when 75mph is posted up over half of the U.S. 85 is not that hard to accomplish on I-40 or I-80 with 80,000lbs with 4-5% straight grade. So let me tell you this if I was working for you and you got your panties in wad because you found out that I did 85mph in a truck and your pea brain could not grasp the concept of fluctuating speed, causeing you to fire me without knowing what the situation was, well then I would use that as grounds for one hell of an a$$ kicking. Maybe you should have more faith in the people that keep your business going. Now from Company owner to Company owner in the same industry, I'd like to let you know my company has maintained a perfect DOT record in its entirety since 1999, having only one accident due to a suicide 4 wheeler. Thats no violations ever......... Now with that said just between you and I and nobody else, my trucks will do triple digits and I don't believe I have ever fired a guy for driving to fast..... So go stick that in your ear. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif a$$hat.

[ QUOTE ]
    Blowing a tire at that speed loaded would be devistating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on many variables. I wasn't devastated, I just sucked up alot of seat cushion while keepin my rig afloat.

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just had a 38.5x15-16.5 ground hawg come off the rim a few days ago while wheeling. I was doing about 25-30 mph romping through some open fields when it flew off the rim. All I heard was POOF then I fealt my front end slam on the ground, I almost rolled it and was really glad it didn't happen on the street. I think I'll be doing my highway traveling with my car and keep my Blazer on the dirt where it belongs. I tend to drift across highway lanes enough without having to lose a tire, I can only imagine what it'd be like to 3-wheel across a 4 lane highway at 55mph /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a training program is in order. A big rig can survive a steer blow out, the driver has to be aware of what to do. Do they know what to do when the trailer starts to come around on them?

There are merits to both of your comments, lets not fight here.

If the pay was the same, I would rather work for the man with uncut trucks, which gives me, the driver, more options to get my job done. I, as a driver, take care of my equipment, watch everything closely, and give lots of respect to those around me.

The 'road rage' post in the non 4x4 forum just burned my a$$. Yes there are stupid drivers out there, but becoming one yourself fixes the problem????

Rant off, Happy Thanksgiving to all....

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to let you know my company has maintained a perfect DOT record in its entirety since 1999, having only one accident due to a suicide 4 wheeler. Thats no violations ever.

[/ QUOTE ] Ah thats cute, 1999. My business has been up since 1976. I have much more experience than you and there is a reason why, up until this wreck from the other day, I have had an almost perfect record is because I watch my guys like a hawk and try to keep them from doing something stupid the best I can. And your comment to fluctuating speed, unless your coming off a hill and your brakes are hot and the jake can't keep up, you should NEVER flutuate up to 85mph. I have governers in most of my trucks at 75MPH and I would definantly have one in your truck. Trucks are not designed to go nor safe at speeds above around 70-75MPH. Everything has to work harder as speeds increase including tires and all it takes is one mistake and you not only kill yourself but other people next to you in a little honda and I can kiss my business goodbye because smaller businesses don't usually survive a bad fitality wreck. Just because one mistake was made everyone is out of a job and I have to deal with a huge law suite. A LOT of responsibilities are put on the shoulders of you drivers as soon as you get into that truck and if you don't understand that then you need your ass kicked! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    asshat /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ah thats cute, 1999. My business has been up since 1976.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously at some point your company was only in business for 4 years. I didn't say anything about who the better man was here, is that what you are getting at with this statement?

[ QUOTE ]
    I have much more experience than you

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a reason why, up until this wreck from the other day, I have had an almost perfect record is because I watch my guys like a hawk and try to keep them from doing something stupid the best I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I myself do the same, I would imagine a business in our industry would be on the borderline of going out of business if they didn't stay on top of it.

[ QUOTE ]
    And your comment to fluctuating speed, unless your coming off a hill and your brakes are hot and the jake can't keep up, you should NEVER flutuate up to 85mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what your saying is it is possible for fluctuating speed? I take it you agree with my comment, based on the fact that you answered yourself in the above statement. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I have governers in most of my trucks at 75MPH and I would definantly have one in your truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats actually pretty decent of you to say that you would treat me (assuming I was your employee) equal to the rest of your employees, isn't that how it should be?

As far as having your trucks cut to 75mph, that is actually above the average for the industry and I commend you.

[ QUOTE ]
    Trucks are not designed to go nor safe at speeds above around 70-75MPH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can argue this two different ways. First, all tires except Michellin are rated for 55mph. Michellins are rated for 65mph. So you are basically telling me that it is "safe to operate a vehicle at 70-75mph when the tires that hold up that said vehicle are only rated at 55mph. My how easy it is to put ones foot into ones mouth.
    Second why are some trucks, if not most capable of doing 100+ while carrying a weight of 80,000lbs? (I'm not recommending this, just proveing a point.) Is it a design flaw? (which totally contradicts your statement)
    Finally, where do you come up with 70-75mph? I mean why not 62-67mph or just 72mph or whatever speed? How did you come up with 70-75mph, I want hard evidence that the manufacturers actually based all their study, trial and error on a 70-75mph platform.

[ QUOTE ]
    Everything has to work harder as speeds increase including tires and all it takes is one mistake and you not only kill yourself but other people next to you in a little honda

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree with you more.

[ QUOTE ]
    I can kiss my business goodbye because smaller businesses don't usually survive a bad fitality wreck. Just because one mistake was made everyone is out of a job and I have to deal with a huge law suite.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need advice on how to avoid something like this pm me. I have structured my business in such a way that if something like this happens (and I pray that it never does) it will not tear my business apart. It will hurt it in a small and a short period of time, but will have no devistating impact on my company as a whole. I'm sure you know, but when owning a business you need to be prepared on how to deal with situations, regardless of positive or negative, when/if the time ever comes. Like I said pm if you need advice on how to be prepared for a situation like that(I'm not trying to be sarcastic). You are right on the money with your statement above. It happens everyday.

[ QUOTE ]
    A LOT of responsibilities are put on the shoulders of you drivers as soon as you get into that truck and if you don't understand that then you need your ass kicked!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 110%. As soon as you step into a semi and start it up, its like loading a double barrel shotgun.

[ QUOTE ]
    asshat /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol

So now that we have viewed our opinions, which actually we somewhat agree on mostly, back to the original reason. Why would you comment in an offending way to my original reply (which bares no reason of why and how I was in the situation), from a statement consisting of no incriminating evidence or emotion, basically judgeing my character? Do you often make judgements this way or is it a new thing for you? Because I gotta tell you, its no way to live making quick random decisions throughout life, It could bite you in the a$$.

.....and your retort?