Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo and instrument lights?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 21, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I am trying to fix a couple of light for my gauges. But I cant figure out how to get the speedometer gauge out of the green bezel thats holding everything togetehr. I also wanted to know where I can buy a new circuit board I think thats what it is atleast.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You should be able to get the parts ya need from LMC. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

chevyduty.com has them too. Pricey but they are there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

To get the speedo out you have to take the clear lens off. After the lens is off there is 2-3 screws that actually hold the speedo in place.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the only thing I have seen go wrong with the printed circuit is the copper lifts from the clear plastic at the connection.
    if a couple of bulbs are not working it may just be a bit of corrosion, clean the area a bit and replace the bulb after giving it a light shot of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion

6. JimmyJuneau

What about getting the odometeroff now I cant figure that one out and it doesnt show it in my haynes book.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just the odo or do you mean the whole speedo?
    I think the odo is riveted to the speedo .
    it looked like a small watch type thing that would not function if I played with it so I left it alone.
    do you have the entire cluster on the bench or are you trying to do this in the vehicle?
    on the bench is the way to go IMO
    practise on the one you are gonna throw out as once you have pulled one apart it is fairly simple to figure and correct your mistakes

8. JimmyJuneau

No what I am doing is replcaing the little light bezeles. The cluster is in the truck I am trying to take the whole thing out though but not sure how to get the odometer wheel or box out of the instrument bezel. I have everything else out right now but thats the last thing that is connected.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ok not trying to be smart ass here but have you disconnected the speedo cable behind the cluster?

10. JimmyJuneau

No I was told that you were able to pul it through enough to reach behind it and dissconnect it from there. If thats not true how do you dissconnect it?

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you reach behind the cluster, easier when it is loose, and push a metal 'horseshoe' shaped tab towards the driver and it releases

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You should be able to just pull the speedometer out without unhooking the cable from the back, unless something was changed after 79. It is just slipped on and may be a little tight. Just unscrew the screws holding it in and wiggle and pull on it and it should come out.