Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedo cable adaptor?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi,

I've finally registered so I can post messages in th right forum.

My 71k5 has a rebuilt 327 and a turbo 350 tranny. I've got a bad leak of tranny fluid from the speedometer cable that connects to the x-case. The odd thing is I have some kind of adaptor between the cable and the x-case that is doing all the leaking. Does anyone know what this is? I'm guessing it's some kind of reducer to compensate for the different tranny and the stock speedometer? I've got a picture here..

100_1010.jpg

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yes thats a gear ratio adapter . They are sold by most online transmission houses .

If you know your gears and tire size , and your stock gears and tire size , you can figure out how much percent you need to go up or down to get the speedometer correct .

3. bp71k5

Thanks, do you know anything about any seals they are supposed to have? It leaks from both ends. I guess I can just take it over to a 4x4 shop and see if they know whether it's good or not.

4. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Speedo Gears

Try doing a search first, I kinda remember some one talking about it. The mind is the first thing to go:haha:

Mabe Greg 72 did some thing on it.

Any way try doing it yourself first before you take it to a shop, that's what you paid $25.00 for . We can help!!!

Look down 16 threads under yours and see if that helps!! Later J.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  5. bp71k5

Just for everyone's info, I did contact the manufacturer and they say they discontinued those things about a year ago, and referred me to a repair shop. I guess it's unlikely a new one can be found.

I also got a quote from a speedo shop to custom build a new adaptor, but it's $195 so that's not likely to happen for a while (if ever)

I took a look at that article below this one and it may help. The speedometer was not working all that well anyway since the needle bounced up and down as i drove it. Anyone have any info on repairing speedo's this old? The odometer doesn't work in it either. I'd like to keep as many original parts as possible rather than get a new fancy speedo.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    A bouncy speedo can be fixed with lube.

Remove the cable then remove the inner drive cable.Put some white lithium grease in the palm of your hand then drag that drive cable through it.
    Slide the cable back into the cable sheath and reinstall.

Or try spraying some WD40 down the cable untill you see it run out the bottom end.

7. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I went to an electric speedo and it fixed all these problems. You don't need a adapter. You program it right at the dash. The old speedos are a little unreliable.

8. bp71k5

Actually, after some more investigation, my x-case was way overfilled so it looks like the problem is actually the trans rear oil seal. The speedo seal i just installed is probably ok once the fluid level is back to normal.

9. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

speedo cable is binding up in the housing, is worn out or needs oiled

10. RunTMCfan

RunTMCfan Registered Member

Regarding the lubrication technique...

Mine does not work as well. I should disconnect from the dash and remove the entire cable to hand lube? And/or disconnect from the dash and spray WD40 down the cable until I see it drip out at the other end?

Oh yeah...I'm new hear, but recognize some guys from "another forum."

11. bp71k5

I removed the cable and greased it witha grease gun and it works perfectly now. I just have to fix the x-case leak now.

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Lubing the cable will fix a "bouncy" speedo needle only.If your does not work at all disconnect the cable from the gauge and the t-case and see if the speedo cable is broken or not.
    Manually try to turn the rear of the speedo gauge and see if the needle moves.

13. RunTMCfan

RunTMCfan Registered Member

Thanks dude!