Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedo cable changes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Mar 6, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

When did they change styles?...not counting length. I'll be goin from a '85 208 to a mid 70's 205. I beliebe they are the same but just wanna be sure.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you know,, that s a good Q i forget what year they went from the old threaded to clip on style, hmmm..

im thinking 77 or 79, but maybe earlier,, hmm,.., i know that 72 and older were threaded heh

you would think id know the answer to this one with how many vehicles ive cut up...

good luck

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I did some part # comparison and it shows the same cable for an 85 and a 75 with a LWB, 100.5" A/T 3 spd . Main difference was w or w/o cruise control or the length. I have cruise and I dont use it, but I would if it worked :D

Based on part #'s it appears they had the same mounting style, threaded trans. end and push-in speedo end. IIRC the only side that changed was the actual speedo sid eitself, the tranny end was always the same.

WTF is an upper cable and a lower cable? lol

However, the mid 70's had more cables but I do believe I can keep the one I have. Just wantin to see what some of the folks here have ran into.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Upper and lower cable should be with cruise for the transducer setup before they went with the VSS controlled cruise.

On some applications, they still used a two piece cable even without the transducer, I guess so that one cable would still be the same.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Well **** so what does that mean to me? I'll just hafta trace the cable and see if it goes straight to the case. I'll just get a new 1 piece one, there only $15. No big loss lol.