Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo Cable Insanity

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 22, 2006.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

1983 Jimmy 305, stock was auto, converted to manual some time before it came to me to a SM465.

The lower segment of the speedo cable, where it threads into the N208 transfer case has broken. Here in the United Arab Emirates they're giving me all sorts of cables, none of which fit nor make sense.

Here's the set-up: there's a cable from the back of the speedometer in the dash that goes down through the firewall and it ends in a male connection at about gearbox level. A second cable screws into that one, with a female receptor and a big nut, and it continues crossing to the other side of the chassis where it screws into the transfer case, up high on the passenger side.

Here's my question: does anyone know the part number for both the upper and lower sections?

I've given up on local parts shops and now want to order online from the States - unfortunately there are quite a few different cables listed and I can't figure out which ones.

Worst thing is the annual inspection is due and without a working speedo I'm going to have to park my beast! :eek1:

If it helps, here's the VIN: 1G5EK18DF501910

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sounds like you just have a 2 piece cable, (i've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist). My 89 has a mechanical speedo with a 241 t-case (same as the 208 but a little lower gearing) i only have a 1 piece cable from the speedo back to the passenger side of the 241. This cable will work for you as well. You should not have any kind of speed sensor in line with that cable of yours so just order one for a 1989 blazer with a 700/241 and you'll be fine.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The two piece cables were usally only used on cruise control equipped prior to 1983.

Anyhow, the correct cable for your truck, according to the GM Parts books, is:
    25032661 (2325mm)
    It doesn't list any differences for manual trans vs. auto, so the length should be right. At least I think it's length, the number in parenthesis there, it was listed next to the number in the book.
    1984 number is: 25033550 (2250mm) This one will probably work as well. I suspect only minor differences. Probably shortened it to save a couple pennies per vehicle.

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys - that's perfect! On its way...