Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo Cable/Transfer Case leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tkjimmy, Jan 19, 2001.

1. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

OK, here is the deal. I have a pretty steady leak coming from around my speedo cable where it screws on to my transfer case. I have the NP241 transfer case. Why is there tranny fluid passing through to the cable? I am at a loss, and how might I go about fixing this? Any help would be great. Thanks.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

2. James

James 1/2 ton status

I had an np203 was leaking out of the speedo cable. Originally thought it was overfilled, wasn't though. I just put a rubber o-ring over the cable part yet inside the scew on cap. Did the job. You can get the orings at Autozone

3. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this will help because I don't know how the NP241 is set-up, but I had the same problem on my NP205. It was solved by replacing the fitting that screws into the transfer case where the speedometer cable attaches. The replacement part had a seal in it that the original did not.

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

thats the fix ! Check and see if there a seal and if there is replace it. early 203s and 205 did not have the seal and leaked.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to GM, and they had an inner seal that is not included with stock. I will be doing it this evening. Thanks.

tkjimmy--Wa. State
    http://tkjimmy.coloradok5.com

6. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with my 205. I had the guys that put the 700R in check that speedo cable seal and they assured me that they sealed it up. Apparently they used silicone which isnt holding up now, or they just plain lied.

I saw a similar post about this a while back which suggested that the vent tube might be clogged, causing pressure to build up and force gear oil past the speedo connector. In looking at mine tonight I cant seem to find any vent tube! There are a couple of holes on the top passenger side of the case which "feel" like they might take a vent tube, but I havent gotten a mirror out to get a look at them.

Does anyone know of any pics of the 205 which would help me see where the vent tube is supposed to be?

Also, do you happen to know the part # of the seal from GM?

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R