Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo Cable / Transfer Case

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, Mar 10, 2003.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I am almost done getting her ready to sell /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif One of the last things to do is hook up the speedo cable.
    When I put in my new transfer case we ran out of time and I had to leave 95% done. I noticed the next morning it was leaking so I lokked around and saw a HUGE hole near the top, facing the passenger side. I assumed this is where we were supposed to put the speedo cable. I ran down to the harwear store and got a pvc plug that I threaded in to stop dirt from getting in. That was 3 months ago.
    I just bought a new speedo cable from chevy duty, hooked it up behind the dash and started to run it down to the transfer case. When I got there I had to scratch my head and wonder... huh?
    The cable has a femal "nut" if you will that is supposed to thread on to something male. But the transfer case is also female. I stuck my finger inside the transfer case, and can't imagin how that little stick poking out of my speedo cable is going to touch anything inside there.
    I assume that there is some sort of assymbly that I am supposed to haveto mate the two.
    True?

Oh yeah, and I put up some NEW PICTURES make sure you check out the slide show, it is only 1.4 Mbs and it shows the new interior parts.I can't belive I am selling this truck... sigh.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There are parts missing. At minimum, you should have a driven gear, a driven gear housing, and a driven gear seal. If you have 3.07:1 gears, you should also have a ratio adapter box (1.2020:1 overdrive). Inside of the transfer case, attached to the output shaft, you must also have a speedometer drive gear.

The output hole for the speedometer driven gear housing should point out of the *driver's* side of the transfer case.

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Driver's side? didn't even look there! What it the big hole on the passenger side, near the top?

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There are parts missing. At minimum, you should have a driven gear, a driven gear housing, and a driven gear seal. If you have 3.07:1 gears, you should also have a ratio adapter box (1.2020:1 overdrive). Inside of the transfer case, attached to the output shaft, you must also have a speedometer drive gear.

The output hole for the speedometer driven gear housing should point out of the *driver's* side of the transfer case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve I've seen them on both side of a TC. Allthough most chevys have them on the drivers side.

5. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Quick, kind of unrelated question: How are those tires holding up? First time i saw them on your truck, which is strikingly identical to mine, i was in love with the tires. However, i talked to some guys and they said the tires weren't all that good and even heard of horror stories about chunks of the tires just flyin off. Nonetheless, after seeing the new pictures of your truck, i want the tires even more and would like to know ur opinon. Plus, hows the rub with the 35s?, because i think we have the same lift

6. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Oh man, and sweet tunes on the slide show. I dig, I dig.... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif