Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

#%*@! Speedo Cable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 23, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Not long ago, someone on the list told how to diconnect the speedo cable from the instrument cluster. They said to 'there's a spring clip that you just press and the cable comes out'. Well, it's not. Can someone tell me again how exactly to get the cable loose from the cluster before i smash something or break out the die-grinder. Thanks... (I'm better now... blood pressure is gradually lowering)

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hahahahahahahaha ! Sorry, it's just that you sound like me !!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. beefcake83

Glad I could amuse you. It's my short fuse I guess. Hopefully I'll get an answer so I can get this project knocked out today. Later -

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

4. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

On my 79 it is a metal spring retainer type thingy. If memory serves me you have to press towards yourself (rear) just below where the cable attaches to the back of the cluster and they should separate....Hope that helps.

Jim

79jimmy@sprint.ca

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

ummmm... There is a "spring clip" type of thing on the back of the cluster housing holding the speedo cable in it's place. If you have the dashbard off and the whole cluster housing unscrewed, you have to manuver the whole housing so that you can get your hand behind it (you won't be able to see much). Find the speedo cable and where it goes into it's receptical... at the bottom of the cable there is that sping clip... just push towards the housing and pull on the housing lightly... it Should then pop off. If you have any probs let me know.

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

6. beefcake83

Thanks guys... The clip thing was right, I just needed to yank on the cable a little harder. Didn't want to break something expensive, but when it still wouldn't come loose I said screw it and yanked. By the way, it was on top of the cable on mine but still the same method of removal. Thanks again

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew