Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo don't work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordeater, Jun 13, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so i swapped in a 465/205 into my blazer a few weeks ago, and now the speedo doesn't work. It worked before so i know its not the speedo/cable, i'm thinking it is the gear in the transfer case. So, the question is how do i replace it, and where can i get a new gear? Just in case anybody needs to know, its an 84 k5

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good question, i swapped in a 205 and haven't had a working speedo since. lol! to be honest, I don't really miss it...

j

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i'm fine without a speedo, but, this blazer is going to my lil 16 year old brother. I want him to see how fast he is going when his dumb ass is speeding all over the place

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my np205 has an adapter that is screwed into it..then my speedo cable goes into that.. maybe you are missing that?

p.s. my speedo is way of now.. even though I finally put a cable in it.. not worth using..... cant find how to re-calibrate the manual trannies :crazy:

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've seen that little drive pin that couples the speedo gear to the speedometer adapter strip a lot. It has a square shaft that slips into the t-case speedo gear, and it likes to get rounded off. Or maybe your speedo adapter is hosed, or the gear's missing from the t-case. Don't know what you swapped with it or what you kept, but if you haven't had the speedo adapter off of it yet, I'd give everything a good look.

6. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

If you look on the passenger side of the transfercase you will see where the speedometer cable is attached.. Undo the cable from the side and there should be a metal clip with a 7/16 nut take it out.. You might have to screw the cable back in now to be able to pull the metal peice it attaches to out..Once you get that out you should see the little plastic gear.

You can get the little plastic gear at your local dealer for about $7.00... You need to carry it with you so they can count the teeth.. Good luck