Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedo drive gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by docgab, Dec 9, 2004.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hello all,
    So I was trying to order a speedo drive gear for my 78 K5, th350, np203. As soon as i call up they ask me "color code/number of teeth?" I have no idea. My t-case doesnt have a speedo gear right now so i have no idea what to order. I have 4.11 ratio in the back and am running 35 inch tires. I called an auto parts store and the chevy parts desk and neither could tell me which i needed. Can any of you gurus help a guy out? Thanks.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

you can change colors not only as what gear ratio , but also what size tires you have on. since yours did not have one in it, you might have to buy a couple different ones. they are not that expensive.

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i think it would involve knowing the engine rpm, what gear your in, axle ratio, and tire dimeter and/or circumference to find what rpm the tire is turning. but from there im not good enough at math to figure the rest out

5. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

and pauly383k10, i know a bunch of math to find what drive and driven gear you need given you had a previously accurate speedo(which would require the drive and driven speedo gear) but if you know any easier way, id like to hear it, as i have a 208 and changed gears and tires, and my speedo is now way off. thanks

6. docgab

Hey, thanks for the input all. It is much appreciated!

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

this is the post that got me curious , got me searching and found out what to do with 208's , just use 700r4 gears . Look at my reply in this thread , #10 . With my 18 tooth gear in case , my 32.5 inch tall tires , and my 3.73 gears , I come up with green 42 tooth gear needed http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121705

8. docgab

OK. This one knocked the cobwebs out of my head. I was looking for an easy way to tell what I needed as far as a DRIVEN gear goes. I guess I need to tear into my x-fer case and see what drive gear I have then? It all makes sense now. lol

9. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

tci's website helps alot, definately saves you from any mental stress doing the math yourself. thanks pauly

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yep

you may be able to remove the cover from where the driven gear usually goes and see it from there