Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo gear change

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Mar 28, 2000.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I put 33's on last november and I'm finally getting around to changing the speedo gear. The only problem is that I can't get the d#*@ thing out! I took the cable off the plate but I can't get the plate out of the housing. Does it unscrew or just pry out? I didn't want to force anything till I got some advice. Thanks

Joe
    88 Jimmy

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

On my '89 it just pulls out after the keeper is removed. I left the cable attatched to give more leverage when I pulled mine. hope this helps.
    John

3. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Joe...I just ordered 33" A/T's for my 88 Blazer. I have 31's on her now and the speedo is running faster than it should. I suspected that she had 32's or 33's on before I bought her a couple of weeks ago.

Can you buy the speedo gears at a parts shop based on revs per minute from the tire specs? Also what speed do you have to be going to get that rpm figure?

mrkay

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

That's what I figured but I didn't want to force anything. It was about 7pm and I wasn't in the mood to fix a stupid mistake if I broke something. Thanks for the help.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm getting my new gear from my local GM dealership. If you know how far off your speedo is, you can take your existing gear out and count the teeth and note what color it is. The guys in the parts dept here told me that each tooth on the gear counts as 2mph so you just add or subtract teeth accordingly, they didn't tell me at what speed though... for some reason I didn't think to ask. I'll let you know when I find out, or if anyone else knows...?

Joe
    88 Jimmy