Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SPEEDO GEAR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, May 28, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I JUST REPLACED A TIRED 208 WITH ANOTHER 208 THAT ISN'T SO TIRED. IT CAME WITH THE TRANSMISSION I REBUILT AND REPLACED. PROBLEM IS MY SPEEDO IS ABOUT 30 MILES FASTER NOW, DID GM HAVE DIFFERENT GEARS? IS IT BCOS OF A DIFFERENT REAREND GEAR I RUN 383'S I THINK. IF YOU HAVE ANY CLUES PLEASE FILL ME IN. I HAVE THE OLD TRANSFER STILL, AND CAN I SWAP THEM OUT EASILY?
    FINALLY CREEPIN AND CRAWLIN AGAIN
    JIM

2. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

No don't think its gears the only way the speedo will change is with new differential gears, tires, speedometer gears. if you didn't change the gear that plugs into the transfer case, the rear end or tires, the output shaft on the transfer case has a different # of speedometer teeth on it hense the difference. What I'd do is change the speedo gear they are only a couple of dollars easier to change than the transfer case output shaft. You can either use a little math to figure out what new gear you need, or do trial and error. If you can count the teeth on the new transfer case/ old transfer case, and bring the speedo gear to the chevy dealer and they should be able to tell you. Or maybe there is a # on the new transfer case or if you know what it came from and bring that to the chevy dealer and tell them the rear gear and tire size.. I'd personally check the number of teeth then go to I to 4low.com

Blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money is what keeps my K5 alive.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

KIND OF MY LINE OF THINKING. THE OTHER BLAZER I GOT THIS TRANSFER CASE FROM MUST HAVE HAD HIGHER GEARS. THANKS FOR THE LINE.
    CREEPIN AND CRAWLIN
    JIM

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If you follow someone doing 55 and see what your speedo reads you can figure out which gear you need. Each tooth on the speedo gear is worth 2 mph on the speedo so take the number of teeth on your current gear and add or subtract accordingly. You might need to change the aluminum spacer that holds the gear too, there's two different lengths. My speedo was 10 mph off with a 40 t. gear so I got a 35 t. gear and a new spacer. No more worrying about a speeding ticket.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

my friends method sounds alot easier and im tired of looking at the bottom of my blazer. he said if your behind everyone, speed up. if they're all behind you, slow down. i'm starting to appreciate these kinds of things as i grow older. thanx for the help, i'll give my shoulders and back a rest before crawling back under! you guys are great.

6. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

Well it sounds to me you need five min under your truck to fix the prob. Did you just unplug the spedo cable from the old 208 & plug it into the new one? Where the cable goes in there's one bolt holding in the spedo gear (little plastic thing) Should take you five min to grab the one out of your old t-case & do the switch

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm