Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo guage question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

During the bur body swap, I noticed that the 77 had a 100 mph speedo and the 81 has a 85 mph speedo. Will I have to change the drive gear in the t-case or can I just swap speedo's or do I even have to worry about it. He is still running stock tires on his burb so the guage WAS accurate.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It should be an even swap. Most mechnical speedos are calibrated to operate at 1,000 revs per mile as the correct input. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

so the 85 mph guage will read accurately with the 77 100 mph speedo cable?

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

It will work no problem. I swapped a tach dash w/ 85mph speedo into my 77, replacing the 100mph and had no problem.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Jeff I would just swap in the 100 MPH speedo.
    Umm ya might as well I just remembered that there is a shload of bulbs burnt out.
    It is a hell of alot easier to replace the dash bulbs from the front as it has all that A/C duct work behind the dash.
    And even so even if the rig never sees 100 having a 100 MPH speedo is kinda cool LOL
    Ya know now ya have it that far down ya might as well just swap in some Auto Meter gages as well.
    That voltage gage always scared the hell out of me. It was always reading low. I never realy knew if the damn thing was reading right.
    same thing with the temp.
    I dunno it was the only unmolested rig I had LOL
    What I would do is to take the dash panel from the 77 and carve out the holes to acccept new gages and just redo the whlole damn thing,
    Yer not going to use the A/C anyway.
    As far as the pics, I can only make out 2.
    let me see what I am doing thursday.... Nothin yet, I'll stroll on down there and help ya square it away.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I also thought about just switching the speedo but all the lettering was different and I wanted to maintain the look of the dash. Also my 77 had a mech. oil pres. and the 80 was electric.

Just some more thoughts.
    Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif74