Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo no workie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Well finally got the blazer moving under its own power. But speedo doesnt work. Kindof would like to have that since i will be driving it on the street also. :doah:

I do know the speedo cable goes into the NP203 tcase. The cap that screws onto the tcase is cracked so That deffinaly needs replaced. But what should i look for to see what is wrong and not getting the speed to the guage?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

To Test Cable:
    You should be able to unscrew the connection at the tcase and manually spin the cable, have someone verify if your speedo is reading anything. If it doesnt read at first, push the line into the speedo and try again (this is what mine has done twice now, cable is about 1/4" too short) if you still dont get anything on the gauge, pull the cable completely out of the jacket and check for breaks, you may need a new one. If the cable is fine, and the speedo still isnt reading, either your drive gear in the tcase or the speedo itself is shot
    To test speedo:
    remove speedo from bezel, and manually spin it (a square drive bit in a power drill works great too) and it should respond.
    To test tcase:
    drive around without the speedo in place, but with the cable hooked up, you should be able to see the cable spining

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot! Ill see what i can do. Since the screw going onto the tcase is cracked do i need a whole new speedo line or can i get just that screw on cap?

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I think you can just get the outer jacket piece. I think my 350/203 combo has a 2 piece speedo cable, if you have the same, you should be able to unscrew the bad section and slide a replacement right on... If you have a 1 piece cable, you get to have fun removing and reinstalling it at the firewall
    Junkyard or a parted truck is probably the cheapest way to get one, though Im pretty sure they do have them new as well