Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by luvmud, Oct 16, 2002.

1. luvmud

luvmud Registered Member

Greeting from Washington State I just joined this BBS and had to post my first question. I have a 1988 6.2 K3500 that has a speedo problem, the speedo needle basically bounces all over the place or doesnt do anything at all....any idea what could be causing this?

Do I need a new speedo gauge or? Is there any easy trick to fix this or could I install an aftermarket speedo to solve the problem?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This is likely a problem with the cable, not the speedo itself. A new cable should fix it, or you could possibly fix it by removing the cable inner drive wire from the cable and lubing it. </font color>

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

i second that

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Easy to check the cable: just pull it out from the t-case side and look for a bent spot. If you don't find a bent spot, then most likely the magnets in the speedo head are having issues and the head needs to be replaced.