Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedo problems please look

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doctor4x4, Feb 11, 2004.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's the stats
    1989 fullsize K5
    Upgrade 700r4- 205
    thats the problem
    was a electric speedo
    now is manuel
    bought the special speedo converter but must have switched the 2 wires and blew a inline fuse as all the ones in the fuse block are ok
    or ??
    oh yea when i first hooked it up the speedo pegged at 85
    so i turned it off and back on 3 times the needle tried to surge but the limit peg wouldnt let it go forward so i took the cover off and pushed it back to zero with the ignition off
    now it wont move at all
    anyways spedo dont work any body got a wiring diagram or know how they work when they went electronic ??
    should i be getting a positive voltage to either wire ??
    I hooked up a drill so i know its spinning

Thanks
    R

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

top still need help

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Can't help much, but thats interesting you have electronic speedo, i have an '89 Burb and to my knowledge it's cable driven, guess i'll have to double check on it.

Good luck with that. sorry not any help.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hate to say it but if you hooked it up wrong and pegged the needle then you had to force the needle back. Its prolly time for a new speedo. Either that or your adapter is toast.
    Maby you can return it and try a new one.
    Strange. I have never seen a electric spedo in a 89 either.
    The spedo in my 89 K5, and all others I have seen is/are cable driven. Didn't think they went electric till 90.
    What are you using for a VSS?

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yep i was wondering if i broke my speedo
    and mabe it was one of those late made(last on the assembly line so it got 1990 parts k5
    but it was a 700R4 to a np241
    does the computer need info from the speedo to do its job right ??
    I'l post up for a drawing or ??
    Thask guys
    It was nice to get a response at least
    R

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Computer does need speed input for IAC to work correctly. Also as previously said, GM did not start using electric speedo until 1990.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the computer needs input on speed for things like TC lockup and I believe it also has some effect on fuel curve. It will run ok without a Vss but you wil get a VSS trouble code, TC probabally wont lock up. There may be some small driveability issues like stalling or high idle and such.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My 87 has a speed sensor In the back of the cable driven speedo. 3 wires, red, green and black. Do you think you could replace with a cable driven and use that sensor for the computer??
    Just a thought.

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Randy...89 was the last year of the cable driven speddo's...90-1 use a true electronic speddo with the drac module and all...87 -89 use a small greenish module on the cluster that is sort of a pulse generator...it feeds the ecm and the CC if you have it. Have all the wiring books from Helm. Suckin up overtime tomorrow but sunday before the big race i will be free to chat.

If it was built late 89 then it could have all the 90 gizmo's...but not to worry....Howeel sells the correct 2 pulse vss for $85...then you should be fine...simple plug and play. Under the radio will be a white box...its called a DRAC....it converts the analog signal to a digital the ecm can read and the flows out to the CC...ECM..ABS...and the cluster...blue wire...circuit 824 if i member right...also signal from vss enters the cab via ecm harness and is routed thru a small metri pak connector that will be a 10 pin deal and black...then to the drac....my wifes 90 V2500 came with a non working speedo and lets say i learned the system pretty well.

Good news is you can flash if you will the drac to adjust for tire height changes...ISS (Intstrument Sales @ Service can burn a new one for $85....they need the rear end gearing and tire circumfrance to do it...there is a post somewhere about how to clip some wires in the drac so you can skip the visit at ISS but i haven't checked out all the links and done the homework there...

Speedo heads and Dracs are obsolete thru gm...LMC offers the correct speedo for $350....and for the same amount ISS will fix your cluster...the speedo heads are very delicate so don't finger them again....bad randy...lol.

DW