Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedo STILL not working. What's up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Mar 24, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Speedo STILL not working. What\'s up?

I replaced the gauge and the cable, and it's still not working. What else is there? I would say something in the case, but it's failed to work through 2 different cases, seems like the concidences are a little high??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Re: Speedo STILL not working. What\'s up?

Have you checked the little "key" or adapter bit inside where the cable fits into the t-case? There is a piece about 1 1/4" long or so, roughly 1/8" square maybe that fits inside which connects the drive from gear in the case to the actual speedo cable, through a couple other connections of course. Anyway, this part is rather "soft" and over the years will wear slightly, then round itself down. Once the corners are rounded even slightly, it will just spin around, rather than turning your speedo. Only place I have found to get them is at the dealer-course mine were discontinued and no longer available, so once they located 5 of them, I got them all. Went through 3 in 5 years on an old K10 I had a while back. The newer ones that would fit your '87 are a little smaller (shorter), and are what is still used today, so you should be in luck. Price was around $15 for mine shipped.

Hope that helps,

Mike

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: Speedo STILL not working. What\'s up?

thanks...that had not even crossed my mind. I will explore that avenue...I appreciate your detailed reply! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif