Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Rob71Balzer

Rob71Balzer Registered Member

I got a small problem, other than being able to see through the floor. When I am driving my 71 the speedo is reading 10 mph under. When I bought the truck it had 33X9.50s and what I think to be stock gears, whatever those are. Which I have not changed, too poor right now. The only thing I can figure is that either the speedo head is goofy cause its 32 years old or the cable and gear that go to the t case is bad. Any ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. ccchauser70k5

ccchauser70k5 Registered Member

The tires you have on are larger than the stock. If you go to a 30" tire or so, your speedo will be close. You also might be able to find a smaller speedo gear if your lucky.

Clint.

3. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 blazer and with 33's on it, the speedo was 20% off. With 31's, it's 10% off. The rest of the drivetrain was totally stock. You can change the speedo gear coming from the transfer case to give the correct speedo reading. Not sure if it needs to be smaller or bigger, having a brain melt right now.

marc

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

how do you go about changing the gear? is it in the little box the cable attaches to or where?

thanks

nathan

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you have the little box about 6-8"s from the TC in the speedo cable. Then you can change the gears inside it to make the speedo read right.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the little box screws onto the transfer case with only a needle thing sticking into it. is this the right thing?

nathan

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That should be a different version of the ratio adapter. Does the box have screws to hold the halfs together or rivets. You could take it to a speedo shop and they should be able to get the different gears that go inside it.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the box has scres that hold it together. i opened it up and there were three little gears. 2 little and one big if i remember right. where do you find a speedo shop? i looked in the phone book and couldnt find any thing close.

thanks again

nathan