Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SPEEDOMETER (autometer) Which one to buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Feb 23, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

alright:
    I don't have a factory dash.
    its all tube and guage panels (in fact I already have 3 autometer ultralite guages.
    I am very interested in purchasing an Autometer speedo but I'm not sure which one to get (electrical/mechanical) I have a np208, 4.10 gears, a 700r4, 350crate, and really want to know the pros and cons of each. Thanks in advance. Also can they be calibrated for bigger tires (i.e. going from 315x75xr16 mtrs to 40inch mtrs eventually)

thanks in advance for all the help

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Electric can be calibrated for bigger tires but it ends up being pretty pricey once you get the senders and whatnot. The mechanicals are a 1:1 ratio, you need to either change the drive gear in your t-case to make the speedo read correctly, or you need to get a conversion box to put between the t-case and speedo cable. I got a custom conversion box, it ran me about $70 including 2 runs on a dyno (speed only) to get it calibrated perfectly.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Id say electrical. I have one and I reset it for my 42s and when I put the 38s on and its dead on. I think it was like $210 for the speedo and $60 for the sending unit, but well worth it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif