Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer Cable trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerman78, Mar 7, 2003.

1. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

Ever since I bought my Blazer the speedometer didn't work. I traced it back to the 90 degree elbow adapter thing that the cable plugs into at the transfer case. When I took it off some broken parts fell out. My question is, where could I get another one of these things and about how much would it cost? I'm a little (read: alot) short on cash at the moment.
    Could I just run without this thing and get a longer cable? If so, how long does it need to be? Does someone sell speedometer cable extensions?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to get this fixed. Thanks for any help!

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

take yours off and take it down to the auto parts store. As long as the ends are correct(straight to speedo or goes to cruise control unit underhood) you can get one that is just a little longer. Believe me, I just changed mine about 3 months ago and had to buy 3 of them just to get it right(returned the wrong ones). I think they ran me about 15 bucks. Good luck.

3. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with my -76 Blazer. I removed the adapter and put in a new cable but now the speedometer runs way to slow. If you drive in 50 it shows 20.
    If you find a new adapter let me know where you found it beacuse here in Sweden where I live no one heard of the stupid thing.
    Hope you can solve the problem. If I do I let you know how.

/Johan

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The adapters have the ratio stamped into them, and my '85/86 parts manual lists all the adapters and part numbers, which means the GM dealer can at least look them up, if they aren't too lazy.