Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer gear help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Sep 29, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Yesterday, I had my gearing changed from the stock 2.73's to 3.73's and my speedometer is off quite a bit. Using the various gear ratio calculators on the internet, I figured (will be running 33's too) that I should be using a 42 tooth driven speedometer gear since the driving gear in my NP208 is an 18 tooth (Blue). The problem is that, in order for me to switch from the stock 35 tooth driven gear to a 42 tooth driven gear, I must change the driven gear housing (mine is only good for up to 39 teeth). I went to the dealer and they want $65 for the gear housing alone!!

My question is, which speedometer gear housings are interchangeable with the one used in the NP208? Is it the same gear housing that is used in 700R4 for 2 wheel drive trucks? I took it to one transmission place today and the guy said it looked closer to the housing used on the TH400 rather than a 700R4. I'd like to track this part down used rather than paying for a new one.

Thanks so much for the help,

Wes

2. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Well, after filtering through about 200 search results here on the forum I was able to figure out the part that I need. It appears to be GM P/N 1362293, which is a 40-45 tooth driven gear sleeve. After doing a little more research on the internet, it actually does look like the same part number that belongs to the TH400 transmission! I guess that transmission guy was right after all.