Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer gear question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HD, Feb 23, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

I just lifted my ’83 K5 and put 35” tires on. I have a NP208, were can I get the speedometer gear for the correction? Thanks for the help!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I cant remember where I saw that thing on the gears, I need one too. They are listed somewhere and each one different color. I probably lost where I found it. In the meantime you could do this: multiply your old tire diameter by indicated miles per hour and divide by new tire diameter.EXAMPLE In my case lets say 45 mph in town ( I have 33's) 30.5 (old 31's) x 45 mph = 1372.5 divided by 32.8 (new 33's) = 41 mph. Do this equation for some common speeds and remember the speeds until you find speedo gear.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Bowtie overdrives has a calculator that will tell you the right gears needed to go in your T-cae to get your speedometer correct. Here is the web address, sorry I dont know how to make it clicky but I am sure somebody here will help with that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, or just copy and paste it up in your web browser- http://www.700r4.com/speedoCalc/speedocalc.shtml

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i was able to get the drive gear, driven gear, sleeve and O-ring from my local GM dealer for under 60.00. this was the best price that i was able to find.