Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Aug 16, 2000.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

My spedometer doesn't work and I've narrowed it down to the gear/housing/(the thing the cable attaches to) that plugs into the drivers side of TH350 transmission. What is the name of that piece and where can I get a replacement.

2. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Most tranny shops have boxes full of used ones, they will usually just give it to you, (if they are cool[​IMG]), if they aren't then no more than $10.
    By the way they are color coded (Blue, pink, red, purple, etc...) so take your old one with you! if your speedo was off faster or slower before it broke, tell them and they might know which one will make it closer to accurate!

PS. You need to fill out your BIO, if I knew where you lived? I might know a shop to send you to, for a free one!

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the bio. I just signed up. I'm in Salt Lake City. Mine are'nt color coded. Just metal. Thanks for the help.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm getting my new gear from my local GM dealership. If you know how far off your speedo is, you can take your existing gear out and count the teeth and note what color it is. The guys in the parts dept here told me that each tooth on the gear counts as 2mph so you just add or subtract teeth accordingly, they didn't tell me at what speed though... for some reason I didn't think to ask. I'll let you know when I find out, or if anyone else knows...?

[​IMG] Sept 1

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The speed is 55 mph. This is the actual vehicle speed, not what the speedo is reading. I had my brother set his cruise at 55 and I followed him in my truck. It couldn't be any easier to replace the gear either.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

You can get the aluminum insert from the dealer for about $20. There's two different lengths so take yours with you or just write down the part number. I'm not sure how this part could keep the speedo from reading though? Did you change your speedo gear and then the speedo stopped working? If so then you probably just need the longer insert.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the road and my speedometer started jumping, next thing I knew it quit. One of the inside sprockets embeded itself in the housing. I have to pass inspection so after a year of no speedometer it is time to get it fixed. I figured I can't drive fast enough to get any tickets anyway.

I looked at my speedometer gear and for a TH350/203 setup I have a huge metal one inside the transfer case housing. It is about $25 to replace.

I bought the adapter I was talking about for $58 and it was the wrong one. Dang parts guys. He gave me one for a 2wd. Duh! I said K10!!!!. I knew it was different but he said that's how they all are now.

After I get my adapter in I'll check my speed and replace the speedometer gear. You guys have been a ton of help. Thanks.

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Man. It always seems like the simple things are the hardest. I put on the speedometer adapter and poped in the new gear. It was way off! Speedometer was way to slow. I was able to get the broken part out of my old gear after some hard work.

Put in the old gear and it worked great last night. Driving to work today the speedometer quit working over 55 even though I was accelerating and now it sits at 5mph with the truck off.

Do you think the cable might be binding? I noticed it had a squeaking sound when I originally test drove it. What kind of lube does the cable take? Just plain greese?