Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer gearing changed?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingjesse, Apr 11, 2002.

1. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

I need to find where i can buy the gears for the speedometer for my 71 blazer now that if put a 1 inch lift and 33inch tires on it.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Gears for the transfer case are hard to come by. You might be better off finding a ratio adapter of the correct ratio to compensate. One with a 10% overdrive would fit the bill, unless there's a ratio adapter already in place (you should change the adapter to a different ratio if there's already one in place).

FWIW, my '72 with 3.07:1 gears has a 20.202% overdrive ratio adapter on it (stock). If yours has the same ratio adapter, you need an adapter with a 22-23% overdrive to replace it.

3. blazingjesse

yes, but where do i get one?

4. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

So I'm thinking about a new gauge set. Is an electric speedo (programmable) a solution (adapters available?)

5. blazingjesse

I don't know about a programmable one , but i just replaced my speedo , and don't want to have to buy another one, i was hoping somebody knew where i could get the adapter.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Ratio adapters are available new from GM. They cost about $50 each, so do your math and get the right one.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

how do you find out which one you have? does it say on the box thing that screws into the transfer case

nathan